- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
Associate Professor of Art (2003)
- B.A., Valparaiso University
- B.F.A., School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- M.F.A (Photography and Digital Imaging), The Maryland Institute College of Art
Areas of Research and/or Expertise
Photography, digital photography and imaging, video and other new media
Krista Steinke is a Philadelphia-based artist working in photography, video, and mixed media. Her work explores the interface between media and technology and issues of culture, identity, memory, and personal experience. She received a BA in the Advanced Humanities from Valparaiso University, a BFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and her MFA in Photography and Digital Imaging from The Maryland Institute, College of Art.
Her work has been included in exhibitions from New York to LA and her timebased work has been featured in several film and video festivals around the globe. She is the recipient of many awards and fellowships including the 2009 Pennsylvania Foundation for the Arts Fellowship in Photography, a 2008 Finalist for the Photolucida Book Award, and a 2008 Artist Residency at Light Work. Her work is in numerous collections, including the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Woodmere Museum in Philadelphia, Brauer Museum of Art, Johnson & Johnson Collection, and Fidelity Investments. Her photographs have been published in The Photo Review, SPOT Magazine, SHOTS Magazine, Contact Sheet, and EXIT Magazine.
Krista is an Associate Professor at Moravian College. She has also taught at the Maryland Institute, College of Art, Goucher College, Baltimore School of the Arts, State University of New York in Brockport, Mansfield University, and Ursinus College.
Krista’s work is represented by the Schmidt Dean Gallery in Philadelphia.
Recent Activities of Note
- The work of Krista Steinke, associate professor of art, was featured in two recent publications: Contact Sheet Annual (published through Light Work at Syracuse University) and EXIT Magazine (published in Madrid, Spain).
- Krista Steinke's work was displayed in a group show at the Schmidt/Dean Gallery in Philadelphia. The exhibition, "Some Cool Stuff," was reviewed in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Her work also appeared in the group show "As It Happens" at Robert B. Menschel Media Center in Syracuse, N.Y. This exhibition will travel to the Lubin House Gallery in New York City this fall.
- Krista Steinke, associate professor of art, won the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts Individual Fellowship in Photography, a $5,000 award.
- Photography by Krista Steinke, associate professor of art, will be featured in a show at the Salena Gallery at Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus: "Suspension of Disbelief: A Digital Photography Exhibition on Social Commentary," January 20 - February 27, 2009.