Associate Professor of Accounting (1997)
- B.A., LaSalle University
- M.B.A., Moravian College
Office: Comenius Hall, Room 208
Personal Website: home.moravian.edu/public/econ/finplan/
Areas of Research and/or Expertise
Financial Accounting through Advanced Accounting.
JOHN D. ROSSI, III, MBA, CPA, CMA, CFM, CFP® is a seasoned and proven accountant, financial planner, business leader and lecturer with twenty-five plus years of business and academic experience. Mr. Rossi has led a career that included several regional CPA firms and extensive teaching. John founded the CPA firm of Rossi & Co in Allentown, PA and later merged his firm with Ellwood & Company, PC. Today, John is an Associate Professor of Accounting at Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA. He teaches a variety of classes ranging from Financial Accounting to Advanced Accounting. In addition he advises the Accounting Club (IMA Student Chapter) and is a past president of the Lehigh Valley IMA. Mr. Rossi is also President of JR3 Management Services, PC specializing in financial reporting, taxation and consulting services.
John is the author of several articles related to his research interest in the area of financial reporting, taxation and personal finance. John has been quoted extensively in newspapers and magazines on issues related to his expertise. In addition, he is a frequent presenter on technical and management issues at workshops and Continuing Professional Education Seminars.
John holds an MBA from Moravian College, and a B.S. degree in Accounting & Finance from La Salle University. He holds the following professional certifications: CPA (Certified Public Accountant); CMA (Certified Management Accountant); CFM (Certified in Financial Management); and CFP® (Certified Financial Planner).
Recent Activities of Note
- John D. Rossi, associate professor of accounting, has been selected as one of two recipients of the 2010 Ursel K. Albers Mentor of the Year Award. The award is given by the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) to recognize those who have made significant contributions to the IMA overall and to IMA student members in particular. Professor Rossi will be recognized at the IMA Student and Educator Awards Luncheon to be held Sunday, June 6 at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront Hotel as part of the IMA Annual Conference and Exposition.
- John D. Rossi, associate professor of accounting, was recently elected to serve as a governor of the Stuart Cameron McLeod Society (SCMS)—a leadership group within Global Institute of Management Accountants. He will be formally inducted at the annual meeting in Baltimore in June. For more information on SCMS, see http://scms.imanet.org/
- An article by John D. Rossi, associate professor of accounting, "New FASs Provide Transparency to Credit Markets," appears in the Winter 2010 issue of Pennsylvania CPA Journal.
- On June 18, 2009, John D. Rossi, associate professor of accounting, served on an expert discussion panel for the symposium "Bridging the GAAP[generally accepted accounting principles] to IFRS [international financial reporting standards]." The symposium, held at the Penn State Great Valley Conference Center, was sponsored by Relevante, a global leader in accounting and technology consulting.
- At the 2009 annual meeting of the American Accounting Association, John D. Rossi presented a paper, "Fair Value—Is It Fair?" The meeting was held August 1-5 in New York City.
- John D. Rossi, associate professor of accounting, was selected as a candidate for the Mark Chain/Federation of Schools of Accountancy(FSA) Innovation in Graduate Teaching Award. The award recognizes successful innovative practices in the teaching of graduate accounting courses and builds awareness of those practices among accounting academics. An AICPA Task Force, with participation from the FSA, selected the award candidates from accepted submissions to the Effective Learning Strategies Forums at the AAA annual meeting.
- In the Summer I issue of SUM NEWS, John D. Rossi, III, associate professor of accounting, published a feature article, "Weighing Your Financials—a Look at the Impact of Fair Value."
- John Rossi, assistant professor of accounting, was interviewed by WFMZ-TV Channel 69 News for a segment on rising credit card interest rates. The piece aired March 3, 2009. John also was quoted in an article on the same topic in the Eastern Pennsylvania Business Journal, March 9, 2009.
- John Rossi, assistant professor of accounting, was interviewed by Channel 69 News for a story about how to raise credit scores. The story aired January 14, 2009.