- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
Professor of Nursing (2006)
- B.S.N, Allentown College of St. Francis de Sales
- M.S.N., University of Florida
- Ph.D., University of South Carolina
Office: Collier Hall of Science
Areas of Research and/or Expertise
Evidence-based practice; effects of traumatic events on health, trauma, emergency and criticial care nursing; parish nursing; bioethics.
Dr. Cheever is an associate editor of "Branner and Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing" published by Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins. Cheever has served as associate professor and chair of the Department of Nursing and Health at DeSales University since 1999. She taught in both the undergraduate and graduate nursing programs. Cheever is a commander in the United States Navy and has extensive experience in Critical Care, Trauma and Emergency nursing. Previously, she served on the faculty at Marquette University, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and the Medical University of South Carolina.
Cheever’s publications include recent articles in the Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, Journal of Religion and Health, Journal of Nursing Education, and Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing. Cheever is an associate editor of the forthcoming 11th edition of Brunner & Suddarth’s Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing (the 10th edition is the most widely used medical-surgical nursing textbook in the world. She also has authored two chapters for the text. Currently, Cheever has a work in progress entitled Adult Health Case Studies: Fostering Clinical Reasoning Skills in Novices, which has been accepted for publication.
Cheever received her Ph.D. in 1993 from the University of South Carolina, an M.S.N. in Adult Health in 1990 from the University of Florida, and a B.S.N. from Allentown College of St. Francis DeSales in 1980. She holds additional postgraduate certificates in acute care nurse practitioner studies from Marquette University and in BioEthics from New York University.
- Kerry H. Cheever, professor and chairperson for the St. Luke's School of Nursing at Moravian College, was invited to deliver the annual Janet Rodgers A. Lecture at the University of San Diego on Tuesday, March 16, 2010. Dr. Cheever's lecture was titled "Fostering Nursing Scholarship through Forging Academic-Service Partnerships."
- A new edition of a textbook co-edited by Kerry Cheever, professor and chair of nursing, is available: Brunner and Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing (12th ed.), edited by S. Smeltzer, B. Bare, J. Hinkle, and K. H. Cheever. The book is a comprehensive medical-surgical nursing textbook in publication for more than forty years and distributed worldwide. Professor Cheever has been an associate editor for the eleventh and current editions. For the 13th and subsequent editions, Professor Cheever and Jan Hinkle will be senior editors, as current senior editors Suzanne Smeltzer and Brenda Bare will retire after this edition.
- Kerri Cheever, chair of the Department of Nursing, was selected to receive a 2009 Nursing Excellence Leadership Award from St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network. Melissa Bonser '05 received a 2009 Nursing Excellence Definition of Nursing Award.