Professor of Political Science (1974)
- B.A., Concordia College
- M.A., University of South Dakota
- Ph.D., University of Colorado
Office: Comenius Hall, Room 102
Personal website: home.moravian.edu/public/polsci/olson.htm
Areas of Research and/or Expertise
International political economy, labor politics, U.S. foreign policy in the Third World.
Dr. Olson's books include How the World Works, The Other Europe, and U.S. Foreign Policy and the Third World Peasant. In 1977, Dr. Olson was awarded a Fulbright to Finland; in 1990, he received a Fulbright to Egypt and Jordan, and he received another in 1995 to Mexico. He was also awarded the Malone Fellow to Syria and Kuwait in 1993. He is a recipient of the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching.
Recent Activities of Note
- Political Science professor Gary Olson's essay "Capitalism Short Circuits Our Moral Hard-Wiring"
has been translated into Farsi and published by Anthropology and Culture, a University of Tehran-based site.
- The Canadian online cultural journal, Arts & Opinion (Vol. 9, No.2, 2010) has published Olson's review essay on recent books by Jeremy Rifkin and P.W. Singer, "Jeremy Rifkin's The Empathic Civilization and P.W. Singer's Wired for War."
- Gary Olson, professor of political science, had his essay "Empathic Civilization and Wired for War" published on the blog TEACH EMPATHY, March 5, 2010.
- Political Science professor Gary Olson's review essay "Jeremy Rifkin's The Empathic Civilization and P.W. Singer's Wired for War," appeared on Znet, February 9, 2010.
- "From Mirror Neurons to Moral Neuropolitics," an article by Gary Olson, professor and chair of political science, has been translated and appeared on Web Islam (12/17/09), Cordoba, Spain. Additional translations appeared in French, Czech, and Spanish.
- Political science professor Gary Olson's recent opinion piece "More Terrorist Blowback from Failed U.S. Policy" appeared in The Baltimore Chronicle, Dissident Voice, The Morning Call, AfghanVoice.com, SLATE, and on several blogs.
- An op-ed, "Change We Can Believe In?" by Gary Olson, professor and chair of political science, appeared in the Baltimore Chronicle, December 1, 2009.
- Political Science professor Gary Olson's review of Frans de Waal's The Age of Empathy in the Baltimore Chronicle has been reprinted by Amazon.com., Emory University, National Library Board (Singapore), A1 Books, Random House, book stores, and numerous web sites, including CommonDreams.Com (December 3) and (forthcoming) Dissident Voice.Com.
- Professor Olson also was interviewed by Channel 69 evening news at a downtown Allentown rally protesting Obama's troop escalation in Afghanistan ( December 2, 2009).
- A review by Gary Olson, professor of political science, appeared on Znet, October 13, 2009. "Frans de Waal's Age of Empathy: A Review and Critique" discusses the world-renowned primatologist's most recent work.
- Political science professor Gary Olson's piece "Afghanistan: 'Necessary' War for Empire" was published by Common Dreams on September 14, 2009 and subsequently reprinted on several other websites.
- "U.S. Involvement in Afghanistan All about Oil," an op-ed by Gary Olson, professor and chair of political science, appeared in the Express Times, September 13, 2009.
- Political science professor Gary Olson's essay "Empathy Marketing 101" was reprinted on Identitytheory.com, a literary website, on July 28, 2009.
- Political science professor Gary Olson's "The Neuropolitics of Morality" is included as a chapter in Richard Curtis's (ed.) Reasonable Atheists and Reasonable Theists Discuss Religion (Lexington, MA: Lexington Press, 2009, forthcoming).
- On May 2, Gary Olson, professor and chair of political science, presented the "Last Lecture" for the South Campus series. His topic was "Why I am a Secular Humanist."
- Gary Olson, professor of political science, presented a paper "The Neuropolitics of Empathy," at the Midwest Political Science Association national convention at The Palmer House in Chicago on April 4, 2009.
- An op-ed, "Populist Anger Has a Role in Shaping the Economy," by Gary Olson, professor and chair of political science, appeared in the March 27, 2009 issue of The Express-Times and LehighValleyLive.com. The piece appeared on Common Dreams.Com on March 30.
- A bit of whimsical news: Gary Olson, professor of political science, coined a new word that has been accepted by the editors of Urban Dictionary 2009. Olson's "bore-boarded" refers to the practice of inducing a near death experience in others by incessant and mindless chatter. As in, "Poor Gary barely survived being bore-boarded by Leon at the faculty party."
- An article by Gary Olson, professor of political science, "Capitalism Short Circuits Our Moral Hard-Wiring," appeared on the web site Common Dreams December 18, 2008. The piece has been reprinted on more than 100 web sites.
- Gary Olson, professor of political science, was the main speaker for the "Freedom for Gaza" rally held in Allentown, Pa., on January 10, 2009. The event drew more than 200 people. It was sponsored by several Lehigh Valley Muslim associations, but was ecumenical in terms of participation. For a transcript of Olson's comments, click here.