- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
- Trustee of Moravian College (1976 - 2009)
Lewis W. Foy (1915-2009):
Lewis Foy is an American success story. Born on a farm in Johnstown, Pa in 1915, Foy became Chairman and CEO of Bethlehem Steel, one of the largest corporations in the world. Along the way, he was also captain of his high school football team, served in the US Army during WWII, and rose through the ranks of Bethlehem Steel from purchasing agent to Chairman.
Mr. Foy graduated from high school in 1933 and began studying at Duke University that fall. However, the infamous Bank Holiday during the Great Depression wiped out Foy's savings, and forced him to leave his college education behind. Returning to Johnstown, Foy was able to find a job as an accountant and in 1936 began a job at Bethlehem Steel in the purchasing department. For a second time poor economic conditions resulted in hard times and Foy found himself one of many to be laid off. After a short sojourn as the owner of a golf driving range, Bethlehem Steel called Foy back to work. At the outbreak of WWII, Foy enlisted in the US Army as a private. He was to rise to the rank of captain and along the way he married his longtime sweetheart from Johnstown, Marjorie Werry.
After the war Foy returned to Bethlehem Steel, and moved rapidly up the ranks from assistant buyer to sales, to assistant to the Vice President, to Vice President and finally Chairman and CEO.
Although Mr. Foy's own education was cut short by the depression, he displayed a lifelong interest in learning. In his corporate biography Mr. Foy is quoted as saying he enjoyed reading "any printed page" whenever he could find time. His service on the Boards of Trustees at Moravian College and the United Negro College Fund gives evidence of this. Institutions that have conferred honorary degrees on Mr. Foy are Moravian College (1971), The University of Liberia (1973), Lehigh University (1975) and Valparaiso University (1979.)
Foy Concert Hall:
Foy Concert Hall is a 425-seat concert hall named in honor of Lewis W. Foy, Moravian College Trustee. Located in the South Hall Art Building on the college's Church Street Campus, the hall was dedicated in November, 1982.