- Admissions & Aid
- Student Life
Moravian College to Celebrate as Haupert Union Building Turns 50
The HUB has served as center of campus activity for 5 decades
Bethlehem, Pa., March 6, 2012--After 50 years of serving as the center of the college community, the Haupert Union Building (HUB) is flashing back to the decade it was built: the 1960s. The beginning of an anniversary celebration that will span into November, the HUB will be swinging with more activities than usual.
The HUB has brought together faculty, staff, and students for half a century, and its anniversary celebration will be no different. The Paty Eiffe Gallery will exhibit student life in the 60's, a project put together by art students and Jan Ciganik, administrative assistant and adjunct professor of art history. The staff at Reeves Library will present a display of the most popular books of the 1960s. Artist Gene Mater will be doing caricatures, and everyone will have a shot at the prize for best 60s costume contest.
Faculty and staff will participate in "Do You Remember the 1960s?" an open discussion where the experiences of the 60s can be remembered and shared on Tuesday, March 13. In the spirit of the theme, students will dine galla style and the sounds of jazz will fill the building on Wednesday, March 14 from 4:30-7 p.m.
After March, the HUB will welcome back the 70s, and next fall, the adventure through the decades will continue, ending with creating a time capsule to be saved for the HUB's 100th year anniversary.
The HUB named the College Union Building (CUB), was renamed with the retirement of Raymond S. Haupert, who devoted 43 years of his life to Moravian College and Theological Seminary. An ordained minister of the Moravian church, Haupert taught Biblical languages and religion at Moravian during his graduate work.
A handful of years after receiving his doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania, he moved in Bethlehem with his newly wedded wife, Estelle Hege McCanless. His home became a site for many social functions, including receptions for students. Haupert became president in 1944 and guided students through World War II and the merging of the women's college with Moravian College in 1954. When Haupert retired, students requested their College Union Building (CUB) be renamed as the HUB in honor of their friendly and hospitable president.
The HUB anniversary activities were planned by Ann Claussen '74, director of the Haupert Union Building and event management; Paty Eiffe, honorary chair; and other members of the planning committee include Dawn K. Benner, Jan Ciganik, Emmy Usera, Arielle Brent, Holly Nonnemacher, Bill Bauman '74, Bertie Knisely '69, and James Lavoy '10.
Moravian College encourages persons with disabilities to participate in its programs and activities. Anyone who anticipates needing any type of accommodation or who has questions about the physical access provided should contact Kathi Roman at Katro@moravian.edu or 610 625-7880. Moravian College is a private, coeducational, selective liberal arts college located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Tracing its founding to 1742, it is recognized as America's sixth-oldest college. Moravian partners with students to build a strong foundation for their future. Visit the College's Web site at www.moravian.edu.