Home > About > News and Events > News Releases > News Releases 2003 > Enthusiasts to Visit Moravian to Hear Historic Samuel Green Organ
News Release

Enthusiasts to Visit Moravian to Hear Historic Samuel Green Organ

Moravian Artist-Lecturer Lou Carol Fix to perform for group

(Bethlehem, Pennsylvania) —Attendees from the Organ Historical Society’s southeastern Pennsylvania conference in Harrisburg will visit Moravian College on Thursday, June 26 to hear Lou Carol Fix, artist-lecturer in music, play the 1790 Samuel Green organ in Peter Hall. She’ll offer music of Moravian composers Gregor, Van Vleck, and Latrobe, as well as works by Bennett, Frescobaldi, and Carr.

Lou Carol Fix is an artist-lecturer in music at Moravian College where she teaches organ, recorder, and sacred music.

The 1790 Samuel Green historic pipe organ is on permanent loan to Moravian College from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City. The pipe organ is a manual organ with four ranks of pipes; it is approximately nine feet high and is decorated with mahogany casework

The antique organ was assembled in Peter Hall at Moravian's Church Street Campus in August, 1998. The organ underwent a complete restoration by R. J. Brunner & Company of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Samuel Green, an important English organ builder of his time, built the antique pipe organ over 200 years ago in London. He built organs for royalty, churches and manor houses. The pipe organ on display at Moravian was originally built for an English manor house in 1790.

Fix will perform the music of Christoph Friedrich Gregor (1723-1801) who was at the forefront of the most important music of the Moravian Church in18th-century. He joined the church in 1742. He spent the years 1770-72 in Pennsylvania, where he was the teacher of Johann Friedrich Peter, for whom Peter Hall is named. He compiled the first Moravian hymnal, and the manuscripts for his anthems are housed at the Moravian archives in Bethlehem and Winston-Salem, NC.

Fix will also perform works from Jacob van Vleck (1715-1831), a Moravian minister as well as a violinist and organist. He was the director of the Young Ladies' Seminary from 1790-1800. He was the first American-born Moravian to be an active composer.