A Sign of the Times

Moravian College’s graphic identity under- goes a change of perspective over the summer with the adoption of a new logo.

After a two-year process begun by the Marketing and Communications Council, the College has adopted a new graphic identity program that includes an official logo, typeface, tagline, and usage guidelines. Developed with input from the administration, faculty, students, alumni, and trustees, the unified program has been endorsed by the President’s staff and greeted with enthusiasm by the Board of Trustees at its spring meeting.

At the center of the new graphic identity is the logo image, a stylized version of the Colonial Hall cupola, viewed on an angle and enclosed within a circle. The College’s 1742 founding date is underneath, emphasizing Moravian’s long commitment to the values of liberal arts education. A typographic treatment in Goudy replaces the more ornate Goudy Handtooled font.

Other symbols were considered, including the Moravian star, but focus groups representing the College’s varied constituencies preferred a progressive, stylized reworking of the cupola of Colonial Hall. It is Moravian’s most widely recognized image, crowning a 1928 building that has become a community landmark. The administrative hub of campus as well as the point of entry for incoming students, Colonial Hall has special significance to Moravian alumni, and its renovation in 2001 symbolizes the College’s ability to grow and change to meet student needs.

The graphic identity system allows for optional use of the tagline “A Small National Treasure,” introduced in undergraduate admissions marketing materials in 1999 to good effect. The tagline reinforces Moravian’s special place in history and its position as a national liberal arts college, as ranked by U.S. News & World Report.

“College-wide adoption of the graphic identity program is key to its effectiveness in communicating Moravian’s distinctive brand,” said Michael Wilson, director of public relations. “With limited resources for marketing and advertising, it is critical for the College to begin integrating all its marketing and communication messages by requiring the use of the logo and typographic treatment.”

Created in consultation with the North Charles Street Design Organization of Baltimore, Md., which has designed many of the College’s institutional materials, the new symbol already has been used on materials for the Priorities for the Future capital campaign, where feedback from alumni and donors has been very positive.

The logo and typographic treatment are designed to be visually appealing in a wide variety of applications: letterhead, T-shirts, bumper stickers. It will photocopy and fax clearly, and it can be used on a white or cream field, reversed on a dark background, or used as a watermark on heavier stock for envelopes and enclosures.

Graphic image files, a stylebook, and guidelines for usage will become available from the Publications Office over the summer. The new graphic identity will first be seen on campus banners in the fall and on the redesigned College web site. Stationery, business cards, and other printed materials will be phased in over the coming year.

May 14, 2002

Address Book
Faculty, student and guest speakers for Baccalaureate, Commencement and Seminary Commencement. Honorary degree recipients for College and Seminary.
A Sign of Times
College introduces a new graphic identity program, with logo, typeface, tagline, usage guidelines.
Portrait in Music
Artist-lecturer Debra Torok issues third CD in her set of the complete piano works of American composer Norman Dello Joio.
Over the Hill
2 staff members celebrate 50th birthdays.
Housekeeping
All-campus announcements.
Datebook
Calendar of campus events.
Gaudeamus
Faculty, staff and student honors.
Risky Business
Topic for 2002-03 faculty reading group is "The Perception of Risk."