Class Notes

NEWS OF 1948

From Jean Baxter McCracken:

I received a note from Edythe Steers Smith, a member of our class for a year. She roomed with “Kip” Vorhees in Main Hall. Edythe worked in New York for 25 years and was in and out of the World Trade Center every day. She misses the city since moving with her daughter Jody to New Jersey. Edie is helping Jody with a dance studio. She has another daughter, Hally, and four grandchildren.

I was interested to read in the winter Moravian College Magazine about the Moravian mission in Honduras, in whose clinic four Moravian College nursing students went to work over Christmas break. I have been involved with a mission group for 12 years and have been to Central America, Mexico, and other Third World countries. This year I went to Honduras to build a clinic and worship at a church in a squatters’ village on a mountainside.

Classmates, drop a line for the next publication.

NEWS OF 1947

From Peg Loveless Browne:

A few e-mails and some personal phone calls brought in this information. Any mistakes found are the results of my declining note-taking skills.

Ruth Heitz Bachman of Bristol and her husband traveled to Italy earlier in the year. In September, her husband had a stroke, but she has nursed him back to health. She has two daughters, each of whom has a son and a daughter, and she is very involved in their activities.

Lorry Zoschack Kelly
of Hampton, Va., and I have kept in contact with each other. Lorry’s husband, Tom, died much too young, and she raised their two sons, now 50 and 52. She has two grandchildren, one from each son. One, though a very good pianist and guitarist, aspires to be a filmmaker; the other is a charming 7-year-old girl. Lorry is very involved with the Catholic church to which Tom belonged and to her own Presbyterian church. She also enjoys her garden club.

June Hunsicker Kuhns
of Stuart, Fla., is very active in the Lutheran Synod church and planned a luncheon after a seminar on cloning held by the church. One grandson is very involved in rowing and won two recent competitions; another, in ninth grade, plays for a traveling soccer team. Her son, Scott, is eagerly awaiting a 50th-anniversary edition Corvette, which he ordered.

Jeanne Scott St. Clair of Esko, Minn., and I had a wonderful reunion phone call. She and Bill have returned to the Moravian College area a few times but have not been to a reunion. Jeanne and Bill have been married 57 years! They now live in the country and love the rural life. Bill had a heart attack 14 years ago, but a recent physical showed he is in great condition. Jeanne said they are very interested in healthy eating; the also walk two miles most days and are active in a fitness center. Bill has been retired for 21 years, and Jeanne has always been a homemaker and loves that role. They are big ice hockey fans and have season tickets for the games in their area. They lost their son to a heart attack when he was 23, but fortunately he left them with a grandson, now an engineer in Tucson, Ariz. (Bill, who graduated from Lehigh University, was happy he could talk him into engineering.) Their daughter lives in North Dakota and owns 32 sled dogs.

I chided Teresa Soltis Maus of Bethlehem for not attending our reunion last June. She promised to try and come to the next one. Her activities center around her home, three children, and three grandchildren. Recently, she got to visit her son and grandson who live in California.

Betty Reigel Mesner, from Nashville, Tenn., and her husband have not been well. She lost one eye to glaucoma and is trying to save her remaining sight. She is considered legally blind in that eye and has had to give up her music and art lessons. Her husband’s hip surgery did not turn out well. Betty also suffers from restless leg syndrome in both legs. My husband also suffers from it, so I know it is a very uncomfortable condition.

Thanks to some faithful church friends and public transportation for the handicapped, the Mesners have adapted well to the changes forced upon them. Betty assured me: “We are still part of life.” Their high school-age grandson, born shortly after his father died, and his mother live close to them. They have been able to be a big part of his life and are very proud of him.

For Jessie Ayre Apple of Winston-Salem, N.C., 2002 was the darkest year of her life. In January, her second daughter, Elizabeth, 42, suffered a serious stroke and an aneurysm. She lost partial vision, her left side is paralyzed, and it will be well over a year before she can return to work. Jessie spent most of the year in Charlotte helping her, returning to her own home just last month. Her 102-year-old mother died 10 days after Elizabeth had her stroke. Jessie’s husband, Miles, died in 1999. Her older daughter, Candy, has her own business in Atlanta and has provided Jessie with her only grandchild, who recently finished a stint in the Peace Corps.

I was saddened to learn that Irene Meisken Burday died September 28, 2002. She had survived breast cancer in 1973, but it returned in 1996. She is survived by her husband, two children, and three grandchildren.

I had not had contact with Anne Turner Dorman since she left Moravian, but we recently had a long visit. She lives in East Falmouth, Md., and is a widow. She had gone to work when her second husband had Alzheimer’s disease to get relief from some of the pressures of his illness. After he died, she stayed as assistant treasurer and business manager of the Linden Hall School for 19 years. Anne has a son and a daughter, each with two children, and they live close enough to share their activities.

Anne keeps busy: She has traveled a lot in Europe, does a great deal of charity work in a nearby hospital, and shares some church responsibilities. Anne has broken the same leg twice, once in a bad auto accident and another time in a fall, which required two months in the hospital and two years of therapy. Happily, she is doing fine now and thrives in most physical activities.

I attended the June reunion but didn’t fill out the biography sketch request in time! I was out of my usual activities this fall because my husband has been very ill. He has had restless leg syndrome and a form of blood cancer for several years. The cancer became acute this fall, but he had stabilized by mid-November and is now holding his own. I have eight grandchildren; and my younger son and his wife, who live in Idaho Springs, Colo., are expecting a boy May 21. They have a 3-year-old daughter. My other grandchildren are much older: 23, 21, 19, and 16 (all boys) and two 18-year-old girls. My granddaughter Heather, who lives in New Jersey, is a wonderful hockey player. I went with her to Palm Springs, Calif., over Thanksgiving weekend for the National Field Hockey Tournament. She has chosen to go to the University of Iowa on hockey and academic scholarships. 2003 looks good: In March, I went on the Moravian College trip to Prague, and there is a September 21 wedding planned for my older son, an electrician, who lives in New York, close to our summer place.


From Lloyd Fatzinger:

Hello to all the men of the ’40s. I want to thank the Class of ’48 for asking us to join their reunion party. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend because of a prior commitment: My wife, Mary, and I had planned for a long time to take the month of May to celebrate our 30th anniversary.

I received input from two of those who were at Moravian during the ’40s. The first was Bob Mushrush ’41, who reports his wife, Eleanor, died March 9, 2002. Bob was a coach and teacher at Catasauqua High School (1942-66), after which he became principal at Northampton High School. He has four children and 11 grandchildren. Though he had bypass surgery in 2002, Bob is in good health. His oldest son, Robert Jr. ’64, is retired after teaching math and coaching football at Quakertown High School. His grandson, Brad ’97, also is a Moravian alum. Daughters Diane and Ruthann are teachers, and his youngest son, Donald, works for a pump company in Chesapeake, Va. Eight of his grandchildren already have graduated from college.

The second was Ray Schultz ’43, from Canada. Like Ken Almy ’43 and me, he has fond memories of singing under Jack Kline as a member of the Glee Club. He mentioned singing at Wanamaker’s in Philadelphia, where the Glee Club joined men’s vocal groups from Temple University and West Chester College in singing “The Songs of Men” under the direction of Henri Elkan.
A retired Moravian minister, Ray is a resident of Willow Valley Manor in Willow Street. Before his retirement, he was a pastor in Canada for more than 12 years, then in York, Pa., Utica, N.Y., and Schoeneck Moravian Church in Nazareth. His wife, Lydia, is retired from Gracedale and County Nursing Home, Nazareth. Their son Delray ’77 teaches at Millersville University.


From Ileen Whitehead Birnbaum:

Phyllis Clark took a canal trip by barge through Holland at the height of the flower season. Acres of flowers were auctioned in a matter of hours and sent on their way all over the world. In Amsterdam, she visited the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum. She plans the same kind of trip this spring, this time to Belgium. Phyllis has two Pulis, 121/2 and 15 years old.

Marian Emig Hoffman, who is in Fairbanks, Alaska, delivers Meals on Wheels twice a week, which sounds like a real challenge in the winter! She enjoys weeding at the botanical gardens of the university. Her adult lifelong learning classes enlarge her circle of friends, with whom she traveled to Point Barrow and was awed by the midnight sun. November brought a 7.9 earthquake! She and Phillip anticipate being in Tucson, Ariz., for the first of their grandchildren’s weddings.

Ann Rosenau Smythe
and William, from Colorado, went to San Diego to visit their youngest son, David, and his family. En route, they visited the Grand Canyon and Zion and Bryce Canyon parks in Utah. In September, they flew to Germany. From the air, they could see Mont Blanc, the Matterhorn, and Zermatt in the Swiss Alps, and the Jungfrau River. Ann is president of their mountain library district and has plans for its enlargement. Bill has retired, 46 years after his ordination, and now sits in the pew with Ann on Sundays.

Ada Zellner Flower and her husband, Frank, took their two grandchildren to see Beauty and the Beast in New York. Come March, they will be at an Elderhostel in Charleston, S.C., and then take a riverboat down the inland waterway to Jacksonville, Fla.
I talked to Marty Meixell Danner, who is still in her home at Lambertville, wishing the Presbyterian home would be ready so she could go there. She has two sons living nearby.

Frances Tallarico Buragino is a busy lady working in the Christmas Vespers office at the College. We had a nice visit at a 50th-anniversary party.


From Jane Smith Ebelhare:

“Bunnie” Aierstock Moore died February 14 after a six-month battle with leukemia. She and her husband, Bob, had been married more than 56 years.

Eleanor Beidelman Kline celebrated the Big 80 birthday on St. Patrick’s Day. She was with her sister in Columbia, Md., when she wrote, and planned to visit a friend in Weslaco, Texas, in May.

Janet Moyer Paulus is taking part in the project to collect oral interviews from Moravian College for Women graduates from the Classes of 1914 through 1954.

During her family’s pre-Christmas visit to Yellowstone National Park, Jackie Stout McGiffert saw three wolves while on the snow coach trip to the upper and lower falls of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. Their guides said in the years they had been working in the park, they had never sighted one. The whole family was thrilled to see Old Faithful erupt in the snow and quiet cold.

Jackie Haas Bauder was plagued with physical problems all winter. With the snow and ice, these kept her virtually apartment-bound. She had to cancel a trip to Prague. Fortunately she had help with meals, groceries, banking, and doctor visits, and she has kept in touch with friends by e-mail. She looks forward to a better spring.

Dorothy Stump Lied stays extremely busy. She enjoys her apartment and her neighbors in Ephrata, and she still takes watercolor classes. She is involved with her church, teaching Sunday School and Bible study, as well as being active with its senior groups and a women’s luncheon group. She also knits and reads.

We were in Wellington, Fla., until mid-April, then headed back to Colorado. It has been a busy but rewarding winter.

Reunion May 21-22, 2004

From Jane Shirer:

Now that I’ve got e-mail, I’m in touch with Pauline White, Cordelia Jones Sperry, Mary Inscho, and Lucia Magill Weidknecht. Polly sent a photo of her pastel portrait of a scrub jay and (her latest hobby) a garden steppingstone of stained-glass pieces embedded in poured cement. If any other classmates are on line, please send me a message.

Mary Inscho had surgery to repair a broken shoulder in March 2002. After two months of therapy, it had improved and was getting stronger.

Jim and Mary Lou Patton Phillips went on a relaxing barge trip (the barge was more of a two-story floating hotel) last year along the west coast of Texas. They visited Texas relatives after the tour. Their oldest grandchildren, who are twins, will graduate from college this year, and a new grandson was born in 2002.

Doris Minnick Kuchar had a pleasant visit with friends in the Dominican Republic in the fall of 2002. Her oldest granddaughter is studying veterinary medicine at Penn.

Steve and Kathleen Bailer Stephens joined the around-the-world voyage of the Queen Elizabeth II and visited Egypt, Jordan, Israel, and other Middle East countries before it became unsafe to do so. They’ve since been to Costa Rica and Trinidad to spend Christmas with their son David. They enjoy their home in Williamsburg, Va., with the city’s many activities.

Marie Hekimian Alberian works for the county Women’s Club, the Historical Society, and her church. She chairs the committee of 20 planning its 105th-anniversary concert.

Elizabeth Butterfield Marthaler plays three sets of tennis six days a week, and Herm is back to his excellent golf game after lung surgery last year. Beth says she may be missing a lot without a computer, but she picks up the phone instead.

Ruth Steers Moreton’s card said it was almost Christmas Eve and she was rushing to get everything done. All is well in Saylorsburg.


From Margaret L. Albright:

Joyce Newhard Knapp is recuperating from a right hip replacement. She spent a week in the hospital, five weeks in rehab, and several weeks at the home of her daughter Lisa.

Marie Brady Fuller has eye problems, and her husband, Dan, is recovering from shingles.

I got a Christmas card from Mary Jane Schlegel Schofer, who is coping with the death of her husband, Jay, last year.

Our Christmas was not a joyous one. Four days before, my sister, Shirley Albright ’53, died. We were all watching A Christmas Carol on TV, and she had a massive heart attack. You can imagine no one felt like celebrating the holiday.


From Mary Kuehl Concevitch:

Our sympathy is extended to the family and friends of Betty Barton Dodd, who died in February. She is survived by her son Gilbert and her sister and brother-in-law, Virginia Barton Barthol and Ernest Barthol ’47. A memorial service was held March 2 at Wesley United Methodist Church, Bethlehem, where Betty was a member.


Reunion May 21-22, 2004


From the Alumni House:

Ruth Smith Penick has had some falls recently but is doing well. She enjoys visits from her daughter in Colorado and her son in Australia.



From Wilma Kistler Uhrich:

It was nice hearing from Peg Lanahan Sabol, who came north from Florida three years ago to live in Pen Argyl to be near her son and his family. She has one grandson, two great-granddaughters, and a step-granddaughter.

Marcella Dimmick informed me of the March 23 death of Anna Neamand, and she attended the funeral service. Anna began teaching in a one-room schoolhouse in the Quakertown School District. Later, she taught social studies in the junior and senior high schools. She taught 44 years before retiring in 1980. She received her master’s degree from Lehigh University. She was a member of the state Retired Teachers Association, Soroptomist Club, and the American Association of Retired Persons, as well as member and treasurer of the women’s club, all of Quakertown.

Head Nurse

Once upon a time, Moravian College had sort of a nursing program. Like other colleges in the late ’50s, it offered a liberal arts education to “round out” the schooling of young nurses who had graduated from three-year diploma programs in hospitals.

Margaret McClure ’61 was one of those who completed her degree under that program. She had graduated from the Lankenau Hospital School of Nursing in Philadelphia under the Army student nurse program. While she waited to be called up for active duty with the Army, she planned to go nights to the University of Pennsylvania and finish her bachelor’s degree.

But fate and finances intervened. Her friend Shirley Anne Martens Devaris ’60 was going to Moravian, and the Martens family offered Maggie a place to live in their house on Sycamore Street. That, and two nights of work a week at St. Luke’s Hospital, enabled her to manage the tuition. And thus she became one of Moravian’s first nursing graduates, though the idea of folding nursing diplomates into the undergraduate program was abandoned soon after.

She earned her undergraduate degree in pieces. After a semester at Moravian, she went on active duty and was assigned to Madigan Army Hospital in Tacoma, Wash., where she also attended the College of Puget Sound. In 1960 she came back to Moravian to finish her courses.

Though just 23, she was “one of the older students—a cadre of guys back from the Korean War. We hung out. We were a crowd,” she says. As for her studies: “It was my first exposure to the liberal arts. You know what stood me the best? Public speaking. I hated it but I had to take it.” And it came in handy, for in the years since, Maggie McClure has given hundreds of speeches.

She went on to earn her M.A. and Ed.D. at Columbia University and to work at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, teaching nursing part-time, and at the Downstate Medical Center of the State University of New York system. Then she joined the faculty at New York University Medical Center, where she served as chief nursing officer and administrator of the hospital. She retired in 1998 as vice president for nursing and hospital operations, though she still continues to teach as an adjunct.

Over the past 40 years, as the nation’s health-care system has expanded and its hospitals have mushroomed, the national nursing shortage has been a continuing problem. As Maggie worked at teaching hospitals, she began to realize not only the breadth of the problem but also some of the reasons behind it. As a member of the American Academy of Nursing, she had the opportunity to initiate a solution. She led a small team of researchers who developed the concept of “magnet hospitals,” where respect across traditional medical boundaries—doctor, nurse, and auxiliary staff such as physical therapists and nurses’ aides—made for more rewarding working conditions and greater retention of nurses.

When called a couple of years ago for a donation to the College, she told the student caller: “I think I’m going to give my money to a couple of charities I really care about. After all, Moravian doesn’t even have a nursing program.” But it did—the new St. Luke’s Hospital Commemorative School of Nursing at Moravian College. Maggie’s message went up the line and made its way to nursing chair Janet Sipple, who was astonished to realize that the Margaret McClure who had championed magnet hospitals was a Moravian graduate. That was the beginning of a return to Moravian, culminating in the recognition of the College’s short but productive history with nursing education—and its new state-of-the-art program whose first dozen graduates walked out into the world this spring.

- Judith Green