Class Notes

NEWS OF 1949

From Norma Boldt Wynne:

Christmas always brings a newsy note from Posie Clymer Bosek, and this year she also sent pictures. She and Ell look just as they did 55 years ago, only a little grayer. She sent a picture of their grandson, Jason, at Fort Benning, Ga., and one of Posie with their daughter and grandson. Posie wrote that they looked forward to attending the Tournament of Roses Parade and being in San Diego over the holidays. This past spring, they went to Belgium and Holland at tulip time, and in October visited the Galápagos Islands, a great adventure.

Faye Werley Jurden says they’ve had the whole house done over, and it was worth the mess. Faye keeps in shape on the treadmill and lifts weights. She spent this past winter cleaning out and getting rid of antiques that she knows her girls don’t want. That’s a chore I must do.

In May, my daughter Linda and I took our first trip to Hawaii , where we spent a week on Oahu and a week on Maui. Of course we did all the tourist things: the Polynesian Cultural Center, the U.S.S. Arizona, the sunrise over Haleakala, the Road to Hana, and the beaches and water of the blue Pacific.

From Tom:

A note on the reunion survey from Jim Baird Jr.’s wife, Nancy, says Jim is in the Southeastern Veterans Center. Our thoughts are with them.

We extend condolences to Delbert Edleman whose wife, Carolyn, died in April.

Erwin Boettcher and his wife, Dorothy, are enjoying themselves with golf, travel with Friendship Force, and Elderhostels. Watching their grandchildren grow has given them great satisfaction and pride. Granddaughter Rachel Bruckart ’07 just finished her freshman year at Moravian. She’s the daughter of Jill Bruckart ’76 and Richard Bruckart ’79, ’82 (M.Div.), a Moravian pastor in Lititz.

Patrick McArdle and his wife, Helen, who live in Bethlehem, have been married 61 years! They have three living children, seven grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

NEWS OF 1948

From the Alumni House:

We extend our sympathies to Harry Miller, whose wife, Pearl, died in January.

NEWS OF 1947

From Mary Jean Spangenthal:

Thanks so much to those who answered my postcard by the March 1 deadline. Your cooperation is much appreciated.

Janey Parks Weinland writes of her busy life, along with husband, Bill, in their retirement community. She’s proud of her four daughters and their spouses, both grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren, the last of which arrived on Mother’s Day 2003, three months ahead of schedule, weighing only 2 pounds, 5 ounces. By Christmas, he weighed 17 pounds!

Lorry Zoschak Kelly holds responsible positions in her church and in the one she attended with her late husband, Tom. She also is active in the garden club she helped establish in 1965. Lorry’s two sons and their families live nearby.

I caught Helen Kanusky Canfield packing books to read during her month-long holiday with Bill in Florida. Helen has a strong interest in the local YWCA lecture series involving foreign policy issues. The cold winter interfered with her outdoor walking, she said, but I’m sure she’ll make up for it in Florida.

Charlotte Unangst Schisler also was thinking about a trip to Florida, which will include a visit with close relatives and trips to the Epcot Center and St. Augustine. Her husband, Al, is looking forward to a week of fishing while Charlotte swims, walks the beaches, and shops. She still rides Rusty, her Tennessee walking horse, cross-country skis, and ice-skates.

Ruth Heitz Bachman and Ken took a 16-day cruise through the Panama Canal. They left from Fort Lauderdale and stopped at Jamaica, Aruba, Costa Rica, Acapulco, and Cabo San Lucas. Ken now is recovered from his stroke.

Barbara Schlegel Miller and Kenny were slated for a riverboat trip to Canada last May, but cancelled because of the SARS scare. Kenny had recovered from pneumonia and bronchitis at the time, so it seemed wiser to stay home. They’ve had family weddings in June 2003 and this year, and are busy with activities at the retirement community where they’ve lived for five years.

Peg Loveless Browne was in Iowa to see her granddaughter play on a University of Iowa varsity team and in Illinois to visit with cousins. She also managed a week’s trip to Prague in the Czech Republic and anticipates spending two weeks cruising Scandinavia, Estonia, and Russia, with a side trip to Berlin. She welcomed the birth of her ninth grandchild, Aaron.

Peg received a note, which arrived too late to be included in the last issue, from Sally Lewis, who lives in Bethesda, Md. and underwent hip replacement surgery, which developed complications. We hope she’s doing well.

Anne Turner Dorman writes from the far north—western Massachusetts—where there has been so much snow and cold weather this winter that her travel has been limited to visiting her son and daughter and their families in Monson, about 90 minutes away. She stays busy as chairman of the altar guild in her church and treasurer of the board of the Franklin Medical Center.

The last note came from Jean Zehner Lombardi, whose 95-year-old mother is no longer able to live alone. So Jean, who also lives alone, has moved from her home in Reading to New Ringgold. She manages to get back to Reading once a week and is grateful to the neighbors who keep an eye on her property.

I thank those who answered my call for news and hope you keep those cards and letters coming—along with news from those who didn’t think they had anything to share. As one of the last classes of Moravian College for Women, we have to keep in touch!


From Ada Zellner Flower:

Mary Titlore Harrison, writing from a medical meeting in Spokane, Wash., says her big trip in 2003 was to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland. She saw five wonderful plays in three days!

Dorothy Schlottman and her husband, Al, spent two months on a fire lookout tower in Idaho in summer 2003. She says they were so surrounded by smoke from Montana and Canada forest fires that some days they couldn’t see the ground, 56 steps below them. They spent Christmas touring Vancouver Island, Canada, from Victoria to Sooke and Port Renfrew. They travel with a senior group that recently went to the Museum of Flight in Seattle, where one of the retired Concordes is on display.

Phyllis Clark and her doctors have been trying to track down an autoimmune liver problem, which often has made her uncomfortable and usually fatigued. In August 2003, her beloved puli, Ilde, died suddenly. Phyllis still cares for Abby, the pet of a disabled friend. She was ill during the whole Christmas holiday. Rochester, N.Y., had a hard winter with much cold and snow, perhaps worse than the rest of the Northeast because of the lake effect. Phyllis hopes for a much better 2004!

Bill and Ann Rosenau Smythe again have experienced great sadness. Having lost their oldest daughter, Ann Louise, in 2001, they now have said goodbye to their youngest daughter, Sarah, who died in January 2003 as the result of a fast-growing cancer. Besides her husband, she left four children, ages 7 to 14, in Oklahoma City. In February, Ann and Bill took an extensive trip, including a two-week cruise to Australia and New Zealand. Ann says “Our memories include friendly people, lovely scenery, interesting cities, koalas and kangaroos in their natural habitat.” In September, to celebrate their 56th anniversary, they went to Russia.

Marian Emig Hoffman’s 2003 Christmas letter was a joy. She says she had been spiritually drained for a while, but writing after an adult Sunday school class, she felt her spirit renewed to understand the true joy of the season. She describes the beauty of the Alaskan winter wonderland—frequent snows so that there is “pure-white beauty.” She’s been whitewater-rafting from Denali National Park to Tucson, Ariz., and to Gloucester, Md., for the wedding of grandchildren.

Frank and I, along with my brother, Charles, and his wife, Marijane, cruised the Danube in September 2003. The European rivers were low because of a long drought. Soon after our return, Marijane died after a long bout with cancer. We’ve spent time with Charles, helping him sort through a household of stuff collected during 50 years of marriage. It’s a bittersweet project.

Reunion May 20-21

From Jane Smith Ebelhare:

I received several great e-mails from Jackie Haas Bauder. She and Janet Moyer Paulus and her husband, Dick, got together with Florence Drebert Fritts and Warren Fritts on January 25 at the Paulus home to share a meal. Jim Cherrington (Doris Fetterman’s widower) joined them. He is staying with his middle daughter, Peggy, while preparing his house for sale and selling a huge doll collection that he and Doris had assembled. The following day, Jackie had surgery to remove a cataract in her left eye. It’s gone well, so surgery on the right eye has been scheduled for March 15. She is looking forward to better distance and reading vision and being able to sew without magnification.

Jackie told me about an award received by Florence Fritts’s youngest son, John. He received the 2004 Access Award at DeSales University, given to a senior with a high GPA who writes the winning essay about his experience at the university. John received a bachelor’s degree in management, having completed his degree 25 years after earning an associate’s degree.

Jackie spent an afternoon with Betty Wachstetter Griffis in February, and they had so much to talk about that I’ll have to hear about it later. She has become interested in the artist Vermeer and is reading about him and watching videos of artists of the 1600s.

Eleanor Beidelman Kline’s grandson graduates from Katy, Texas, high school in May, and the exercises are in Houston, so she is taking him and his family (including his other grandparents) from Oklahoma to Houston in a limousine. She looks forward to a visit in April with her cousin, who lives in the hill country of Texas. Eleanor celebrated her 81st birthday on March 17.

Beryl Harrison took her annual trip to Florida in February, where she played five beautiful golf courses. The weather was perfect and the meals “wonderful and reasonable.” She says daily bridge games serve to keep the mind alert and alive.

Janet Moyer Paulus says she and Dick spent a lot of time this winter visiting those with health problems on both sides of the family, which causes them to realize how fortunate they’ve been. They enjoyed getting together with Jackie, Flo, Warren, and Jim in January. They plan to help Jackie with transportation when she comes to Allentown for her eye surgery in March.

Lois Moser Harke looks forward to the end of blizzards and icy roads. She has a new activity: line dancing. “We have a very patient and experienced teacher,” she says, “and of course, we are all old. But she really keeps us moving for one solid hour.”

Dorothy Stump Lied plans to meet Florence and Warren Fritts for breakfast or lunch when spring finally comes. Her daffodils and hyacinths are starting to grow, and the snow geese are flocking to a nearby wildlife-management area. The newspapers estimate 170,000 of them.

When she wrote, Gloria Gately Chipman and her husband, Frank, had returned from a Caribbean cruise. This time she avoided injurious missteps. They plan a trip to Easton in the near future and then to Connecticut for Frank’s 60th reunion from the Choate School.

Andy and I have been in Florida since January 8, and we hope to wrap up this job by the first week in April. We are eager to head back to Colorado.

I just received a note from Alice Joyce Yeager. They have moved again. I’ll include the rest of her news in our next class notes.


From the Alumni House:

We are very sad to report that your class correspondent and good friend, Jane Shirer, died May 18. She will be missed by many.

Jane was a faithful correspondent, and we now need someone to take over her job. We are sure she would want you all to stay in touch! Please contact Pat Hanna in the Alumni Office, 610 625-7874, if you can help us.



From Mary Kuehl Concevitch:

I recently received a letter from Betty Birk Nowicki. She writes:

“The Robert Z. Nowicki Memorial Scholarship Fund has been established by his parents, Betty and Zenon Nowicki, to provide scholarship aid to a graduate of Liberty High School who is a music major.” Rob was a member of Moravian’s choir.

Peggy Lutz Gray has moved to a senior citizen home in Verona, outside Pittsburgh, and enjoys it very much.

“Happy” Harriet Seiter Medaris died on August 6, 2003, in Vienna, Va.


From Ruth Hemmerly Kelly:

My faithful correspondent Ruth Reitz Balish writes such interesting letters. She and her husband have moved to Mineral Bluff, Ga. She has had some health problems, including shingles, but luckily is about recovered. Their children are in Hixson, Tenn., and their grandchildren in Florida.

Marie Overmeyer Teixeira does her artwork at Montgomery Community College and has displayed three pictures at Moravian College in the annual alumnae show in the HUB.

Ruth Overfield Fidorack does an excellent job of chairing the 50+ Breakfast Committee, which efficiently gets all its planning work done at one meeting. This year, we welcomed the Class of 1954, the last year that the women’s and men’s colleges were separate.

I followed the “Trail of Tears” from North Carolina to Oklahoma, where the Cherokee traveled after they were driven out of their native homes to Indian Territory in Oklahoma in the 1830s. I’ve also been to the beautiful Amalfi Coast in Italy, Naples, and Sicily, with its Greek and Roman ruins.

Edna May Kemp Godard, who attended our reunions so faithfully, died December 28 in Haddonfield, N.J. We shall miss her.

NEWS FROM 1941-46 Men

Reunion May 20-21


From Betty Batdorf Hummel:

In the fall of 1935, on my first day at Moravian, I met Lee Shields [Butterfield]. We were assigned to share the same locker, and in my yearbook she wrote on my page, “It was a nice locker, wasn’t it?” To me, she epitomized Moravian. Her death on February 5 was reported in the last issue of the Moravian College Magazine. She was a real leader throughout her life, active in her church and College, from which she received the Medallion of Merit and other recognitions. We celebrate her life and send our condolences to her family.


From Christine Roberts Fraley:

Evalyn Adams Hawk has been our class correspondent for many years. I am sorry to report that she has suffered two strokes and is in Manor Care in Easton.

I received news of Rose Beidler Polentz. Her husband is not well and she cares for him. Rose has written several books and loves to garden.

Mary Fabian Strock’s husband, Clark, died in January. He had been ill for a long time and was at home with hospice care. Mary is doing well by herself. She plans to stay in her house with some outside help.

I see Olivia Musselman Barnes frequently. She is very pleased to welcome a new daughter-in-law into her life, thanks to a second marriage for her son, Kevin, in October.

I was pleased to learn that Frances Fulmer McClain is still ministering to others, as always. She lives in a retirement community in Sun City, Ariz.

Isabel Rohrbaugh Smith still loves to travel. She is spending the winter months in Spain, as has been her custom for many years.

It’s so sad to lose our classmates. Anna Peterson Stahler, who died last fall, had been blind for many years but, I understand, managed her life beautifully.
Ruth Smith Penick died in mid-March. She had not been well for some time. Her husband is in a nursing home in Flagstaff, Ariz.

As for me, I moved to Luther Crest Retirement Community in Allentown last September. I am near my son and have a lovely apartment. I like it here now that I am becoming acquainted. I was hospitalized in January to have a badly infected toe amputated.

Anna Moyer Koller also is here at Luther Crest in the nursing facility. She is not very well.


Reunion May 20-21


The Man Who Knew Seven Presidents

“I always wanted to go into law enforcement,” says George Hollendersky ’59. “I wanted to be a Pennsylvania state trooper, but it didn’t work out.” At Moravian College, he majored in general studies, an option no longer offered.

“I knew a lot about nothin’,” he says. So when he graduated, he applied to the U.S. Secret Service and spent the next 25 years in its field offices: Baltimore, Richmond, Cleveland, Newark, Milwaukee, Washington, D.C., and back to Newark, his last station before he retired in 1986.

He got to know the presidents because it’s the field office that provides extra personnel to the White House security team whenever POTUS—agency jargon for the President of the United States—decides to take a trip outside the Beltway.

George joined the Secret Service when Dwight Eisenhower was president, and served under John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and Ronald Reagan.

His time in the Newark field office coincided with the Carter presidency and the first Reagan administration. Every time they came to New York, George went into action. He met the Pope’s plane when John Paul II made his first visit to the United States in 1979.

The photograph with this article shows him with Reagan after the president spoke at commencement ceremonies for Seton Hall University. No, George was not there when John Hinckley Jr. took his shot at Reagan. That was his friend Jerry Parr, another Lehigh Valley native who headed the Reagan security team.

But George was there when Nixon resigned in 1974. And he was assigned to cover Nixon in 1991 when the former president went to the dedication of the Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley.

When he wasn’t body-guarding presidents, George was busy with the Secret Service’s other task: safeguarding the national money supply. The Secret Service is an arm of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, and its original and continuing job is to stop counterfeiters. George says he had run-ins with funny money in Cleveland and Newark.

Though he doesn’t get to campus much, his contact with Moravian remains fresh because whenever the softball team comes to the area to play Salisbury University, “we always have ’em over for dinner.”

- Judith Green