Student Guide to Graduation Events
Sunday, April 28, 2013
|1:30 p.m.||DISTRIBUTION OF HONOR CORDS in carriageway near Foy Hall. (In case of rain, the instrument locker room - turn left at Foy Hall and go through door at end of hallway).|
|2:00 p.m.||AWARDS CEREMONY FOR OUTSTANDING STUDENTS, Foy Hall The ceremony lasts approximately 45 minutes, followed by Reception in Foy Lobby. 1:15 p.m. Doors to Foy Hall open.|
Friday, May 10
|9:00 a.m.||CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST FOR GRADUATES, Johnston Hall.|
|10:00 a.m.||REHEARSAL for the Commencement procession, Johnston Hall.
(Rehearsal will last approximately 1½ hours.)
BACCALAUREATE, Central Moravian Church.
Saturday, May 11
|7:00 a.m.||CAP AND GOWN BUFFET BREAKFAST. Reservations required.
See details and register online.
COMMENCEMENT, Quad behind HUB (rain location: Johnston Hall).
RECEPTION, 1742 circle between the HUB and Reeves Library.
Notes to Graduating Class
1) Your cap and gown [which is yours to keep] may be picked up at the HUB Bookstore during the week of May 6. The Bookstore hours that week will be Mon-Thurs 8:30a.m. to 6:30p.m., Fri 8:30a.m. to 5:00p.m. Prior measurements are not necessary. Bookstore personnel will distribute gowns based on height. Gowns arrive folded in bags, please hang up or iron before wearing. If you have questions related to this matter, please call the Bookstore at 610-861-1485.
2) In the event of rain, the limited seating capacity in Johnston Hall will necessitate admission rain passes for Commencement. You will receive 4 passes with your cap and gown. If you will not need all 4 of your passes, please either give your extras to a fellow graduate who needs them or leave them at the HUB desk. There will be no other way for graduates to obtain extra passes except from those turned in at the HUB desk. TV monitors will be set up in the HUB. The HUB will be a more comfortable environment for those with young children or whose health would be negatively impacted by the close, crowded conditions in Johnston Hall. No passes are required if Commencement is held outdoors or for TV viewing in the HUB. Commencement will also be live streamed at:http://ustream.tv/channel/moravianlive.The announcement as to whether or not the ceremony will be held in-doors will be made on Saturday at 6:30 a.m. The information will be posted on our web site or you may call 610 625-7995 or 610 861-1300.
3) Detailed instructions about where to go and what to do during Baccalaureate and Commencement are available on-line: http://www.moravian.edu/studentlife/commencement/schedule.htm. Please leave ample time to arrive at the ARC at 9:00am to line up for Commencement procession on graduation day. Students arriving too late to be put into proper procession order will process at the very end of the line. Please notify Amy McHenry (610 861-1348 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if you will be unable to attend commencement rehearsal.
4) By College policy, only those students who are certified as having satisfied all requirements for the degree (see Degree Requirements in the Educational Program section of the current catalog) are eligible to receive a diploma or to be announced as graduating cum laude (3.50-3.64), magna cum laude (3.65-3.79), or summa cum laude (3.80-4.00). If you have any questions in this regard, ask Dean Traupman-Carr, Academic Affairs Office, Monocacy Hall, 610-861-1348, email@example.com.
5) Final transcripts will be distributed at rehearsal to graduates who have satisfied all obligations to the College, including payment of all outstanding charges and/or return of equipment and library books. If you cannot attend rehearsal, transcripts will be mailed to your home address.
6) If you have a guest whose physical disabilities will require special assistance on campus, please contact Campus Safety (610 861-1421). They will explain where to go and how to get there. Seating for disabled guests and 2 companions is on the HUB portico.
7) Honor Designations:
1) Cum Laude: 3.50-3.64 GPA, Magna Cum Laude: 3.65-3.79 GPA, Summa Cum Laude: 3.80-4.00 GPA. These honors are listed in the Commencement program. No cords or medallions.
2) Honor Societies: Students will receive their cords or medallions at either the Awards Ceremony for Outstanding Students, their own honor society function, or with their cap and gown.
3) Honors: This is the designation for those who successfully complete an Honors project. Their names are listed in the program. No cords or medallions.
8) For help with problems or questions ask Amy McHenry, Academic Affairs office, Monocacy Hall, 610 861-1348, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Moravian College encourages persons with disabilities to participate in all of its programs and activities. If you need any type of accommodation or have questions about the physical access provided for any of the Commencement-related events, please contact campus safety 610-861-1421 or Amy McHenry 610-861-1348 at least one week prior to the event.