Raymond S. Haupert
- Scholar, Teacher
- Alumnus and President of Moravian College and Theological Seminary
Raymond S. Haupert (1902-1972):
Raymond S. Haupert devoted 43 years of his life to Moravian College and Theological Seminary. Born in Watertown, Wisconsin, in 1902, he spent three years of his early childhood in Bethlehem while his father taught at Moravian. He grew up and attended school in the Midwest. Entering Moravian College in 1918, he graduated in 1922 and went directly into the Theological Seminary. Graduating in 1924, he was ordained into Moravian ministry. He immediately began graduate work in Semitic studies at the University of Pennsylvania where he received his doctorate in 1931. During his graduate studies, he accepted a position teaching Biblical languages and religion at Moravian. In July 1932, he married Estelle Hege McCanless in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. A few years later, they purchased a large property on North Main Street in Bethlehem and built a home where they raised four children. This home became the site for many college social functions, including receptions for students.
Haupert became the president of Moravian College and Theological Seminary in 1944 in the midst of World War II. His inaugural address, "Facing the Future," revealed his vision and dedication to bringing sweeping changes to Moravian. During his tenure, he guided the college and seminary through great expansion of student body, program, facilities (including Johnston Hall, Reeves Library, several dorms and extensive renovations of existing buildings) and endowment. In 1954, Moravian College and Theological Seminary and Moravian Seminary and College for Women merged to create the modern coeducational college, the first such private institution in the Lehigh Valley. When he retired in 1969, the students, citing President Haupert's reputation for friendliness and hospitality, requested that the College Union Building (the CUB), built in 1962, be renamed the Haupert Union Building (the HUB).
Haupert was very active in several higher education associations and commissions, including Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. He was also in great demand as a public speaker and preacher in the area. He was recipient of honorary degrees from Lafayette College, Seton Hill College and Lehigh University and received numerous civic awards.
He died December 15, 1972, at the age of seventy.
Haupert Union Building:
Haupert Union Building was opened in March of 1962 as the College Union Building (CUB) and quickly became the center of student college life. It was one of the first student union buildings built in this country. A large covered portico extended the length of the building and overlooked the football field. The building featured a cafeteria, snack bar, large dining room, a small private dining room, several meeting rooms, an auditorium as well as a lounge and student organization rooms. Due to popular student demand, the CUB was renamed Haupert Union Building (HUB) and was dedicated to Raymond S. Haupert in May of 1969. Renovations have included the addition of the food court, new student organization offices, meeting rooms, the bookstore and the theatre-in-the-round.