Accessibility Services

Temporary Illnesses and Injuries

Moravian University recognizes that individuals with temporarily disabling conditions resulting from injuries, surgery, or short-term medical conditions may need access to services and resources similar to individuals with permanent disabilities.

What qualifies as a “Temporary Impairment?”

Typically, temporary injuries or illnesses that impact the student's ability to attend class, complete coursework, participate in programs, or participate in programs or activities on campus constitute a "temporary disability."

Examples of temporary impairments that may include but are not limited to the following:

  • Broken limbs
  • Concussion
  • Hand injuries
  • Medical/mental health treatments.
  • Short-term impairments following surgery

A temporary impairment, which does not qualify as an ADA disability, may still be a “serious health condition” requiring reasonable accommodations. A temporary impairment caused by an injury may also be a covered disability under the ADA Amendments Act if it is sufficiently severe enough to limit a significant life activity substantially.

Depending on when the injury or illness occurs, it can significantly impact the accommodation options available to the student.  

Some additional Offices that May be Helpful:

Below are some offices that may need additional communication:

  • Athletics:  Coaches and Athletic Trainers
  • Campus Safety
  • Counseling Center
  • Dining
  • Health Center
  • Residence Life and Housing
  • Registrar

Timely and open communication with faculty and other campus offices, as needed, about the nature and duration of the condition and requested assistance can often result in satisfactory solutions to the short-term issues caused by the injury or illness. 

Where to Start:

  • The student should notify their professors immediately and inform them of the condition and its effect on meeting attendance or other class requirements (such as exams and deadlines). Communication is essential.  If you send an urgent message by email, be sure to follow up.
  • Depending on the nature of your temporary illness or injuries, one of these offices may be able to inform your professors of your situation and request academic considerations:
    • Athletic Trainers and Coaches:  If you are a student-athlete and sustained an injury while participating in Moravian athletic events, you should contact the Athletic Trainers for follow-up.
    • Health Center:  If you have an illness or injury that is not sports-related, you should contact the Health Center.  
    • Student Development:  If your illness or injury requires a visit to the hospital, refer to the Resources for Moravian University Students Admitted to the Hospital document as it provides pertinent information to help you.  
  • Speak with your Advisor to discuss whether to take a reduced course load, an incomplete, or a leave of absence.
  • Ask your network of friends and classmates to help you with things such as requesting copies of class notes, personal assistance, transportation to classes/appointments, and getting meals.
  • Contact the dining staff for assistance if you need help using the dining hall or getting meals. Residential staff can often help with getting take-out meals.

When to Contact the ASC

The process of registering with the ASC can take more than a week. It can also take a few days to implement accommodations or services. Therefore, registering with ASC may not be appropriate for temporary injuries and illnesses that only last a few days. In that circumstance, you must contact your professor and create a short-term plan with them.  

The ASC will engage in an interactive process with each student and review requests for accommodations on an individualized, case-by-case basis. Depending on the nature and functional limitations of a student’s documented temporary illness or injury, they may be eligible for accommodations. 

Consider registering with the ASC if you have a condition that will last more than a few days and:

  • Your instructors need guidance from the ASC on academic accommodations.
  • You have classes or programs in classrooms or buildings that are not accessible.
  • Your condition prevents you from participating in your classes or programs.

Before the ASC can provide accommodations, the student will need to complete an Intake Form and provide supporting documentation from their health care provider to be reviewed by the ASC.  Once reviewed, the ASC will discuss possible accommodations with the student. Unfortunately, the ASC cannot provide immediate accommodations. 

The ASC does not provide a personal assistant to assist with typing homework assignments, doing laundry, using the bathroom, taking showers, etc. 

How do I maneuver campus with a temporary impairment?

When the campus is open, the Moravian Shuttle provides a continuous loop between the Main Street Campus (North) and the Priscilla Payne Hurd Campus (South). It operates on weekdays (between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.), weekday evenings (on the hour and half hour from the HUB and quarter after and quarter of the hour from the HILL starting 7 p.m. and ending 12:15 a.m. at the HILL), and weekends (on the hour and half hour from the HUB and quarter after and quarter of the hour from the HILL starting 7 p.m. and ending 12:15 a.m. at the HILL). In addition, extended bus service will be available on Friday (Saturday AM)/Saturday (Sunday AM) evenings and will continue until the last bus leaves the HUB at 2 a.m. 

To request a wheelchair-accessible campus shuttle, contact the HUB desk by calling (610) 861-1491. 

Students utilizing mobility aids such as electric scooters, wheelchairs, canes, or crutches should consult with the ASC to determine the most accessible route to travel to and from class and other college programs and activities. Unfortunately, wheelchairs, scooters, and other mobility devices are personal devices, and neither the ASC nor Moravian University provides these items. Students may also refer to the campus map for the best route and entrances to access particular locations on campus. 

Students requiring the use of accessible parking spaces must have a state-issued parking placard. Students interested in obtaining a disabled parking permit must apply for a temporary placard through their home state department of motor vehicles.  Vehicles displaying valid state-issued handicapped placards or window placards identifying the driver or passenger as handicapped will be authorized to park in designated handicapped spaces.  For those residents of Pennsylvania, click here for information about the temporary parking placard.

How do I access my classroom if the building is not accessible?

If the student's classes meet in a non-accessible building, contact ASC and request to move to an accessible location.  We must receive a completed Intake Form and documentation from your medical provider to facilitate this request.  

How can I access my residence hall with a temporary physical impairment?

Students who have mobility concerns may request an accessible residence hall, room, or a room with accessible bathroom facilities. The ASC will work with the student and Housing to implement a reasonable accommodation. For more information about housing accommodation requests, contact

Since accommodations may take up to two weeks or more to process, contact the ASC as early as possible to determine the most appropriate course of action given the nature of the situation. If the student has an upcoming surgery, it is best to contact the ASC before the procedure.

We encourage all students with temporary illnesses or injuries to contact the ASC for any needed accommodations.