Parents' Guide to Commencement
Thursday - Friday, May 7-8
- We invite your graduate and you to join us in celebrating the final days on campus. Please look for more information and registration for these events in February 2020 at www.moravian.edu/commencement/senior-sendoff. Registration and prepayment will be required for all events.
- For questions regarding Senior Send-Off events, please contact Heather Christein at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-861-1371.
Thursday, May 7
- 10:00 a.m. in Johnston Hall for all graduates.
- Severe weather tickets will be distributed to graduates.
- Will last approximately 1.5 hours.
Friday, May 10
SENIOR SEND OFF ACTIVITIES
- For undergraduate students who have registered for Senior Send-Off events.
- Details available online: www.moravian.edu/commencement/senior-sendoff.
- 4:15 p.m. graduates assemble in Foy Hall wearing their caps and gowns (or inside the church in the event of severe weather).
- 4:15 p.m. doors open to parents and guests. There is no limit to the number of guests who may attend. Once seats in the sanctuary fill, guests will be directed to seats in the balcony area.
- 5:00 p.m. service begins.
- Location is Central Moravian Church, 73 W. Church Street, Bethlehem PA, 18018.
- Service is open to graduates, families, and guests.
- Will last approximately 1 hour.
ACCESSIBILITY ACCESS FOR BACCALAUREATE
- It is recommended that individuals with mobility issues enter Central Moravian Church at the back of the church, where there are no steps.
- Directions to Accessibility Entrance: Coming down Main Street from the North Campus, cars should make a left on Market Street and turn at the next right onto Heckewelder Place. After discharging passengers, cars should continue to Church Street (which is one-way, therefore you must turn right). Turn left on Main Street to go to the parking lot.
- Parking is available under the Hill-to-Hill Bridge, which is at the bottom of Main Street, below the church, on the right and across from Parking Lot U.
- Additional parking and shuttle service are available from the North Campus parking lots to Central Moravian Church. A map showing campus parking lots is available online: www.moravian.edu/campusmaps
- Shuttles will depart from the HUB entrance beginning at 3:30 p.m. and return to the HUB after the service.
SENIOR SOIREE AND DINNER DANCE
- Immediately following Baccalaureate there is a reception, dinner and dance in Johnston Hall for those graduates receiving their undergraduate degrees, their families, and guests.
- Additional information is available online: www.moravian.edu/commencement/senior-sendoff
- Reservations are required by the deadline listed. This is a very popular event and tickets sell out quickly.
- The dance is not a formal affair, but dress is typically similar to Sunday-best or a nice restaurant.
Saturday, May 11
CAP AND GOWN BUFFET BREAKFAST
- 7:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. for graduates and their guests in The Star Student Restaurant.
- (NOTE: graduates should leave at 9:00 a.m. and report to the ARC in Johnston Hall for assembly and robing.)
- Reservations and payment are required for this event.
- 8:30 a.m. ushers begin seating guests on John Makuvek Field, which is the field behind the HUB (weather-permitting).
- 9:00 a.m. graduates assemble and robe in the ARC in Johnston Hall.
- 9:40 a.m. processional begins.
- 10:00 a.m. ceremony begins on John Makuvek field (weather-permitting).
- The ceremony lasts approximately 2 to 2 ½ hours.
- Reception follows immediately after the ceremony on the PPHAC patio (weather permitting) or in the Sally Breidegam Miksiewicz Center for Health Sciences atrium.
- Many academic departments have a designated meeting area where they will convene about 20 minutes after the reception begins. This is a wonderful opportunity to families to meet faculty. Check back here shortly for a list of meeting areas.
- Seating is provided and there is no limit to the number of guests who may be invited, provided the event is outside.
- Unless there is a downpour or thunder and lightning, the Commencement ceremony generally continues outside.
- If rain is expected, please come prepared (umbrella, raincoat, etc.).
- Closed-circuit, large-screen viewing will be available in the HUB and other various campus locations. Ushers will be on hand to direct guests. These locations will be a more comfortable environment for guests who may be especially impacted by the rain, and there will be easy access to restrooms and refreshments.
- For those who cannot come to campus, there will be a live telecast accessible online: moravian.edu/watch
SEVERE WEATHER PLAN
- Commencement will be held on campus on Saturday, May 9th regardless of the weather.
- In the event of severe weather, Commencement exercises will be held in the Breidegam Field House (also known as the ARC).
- Graduates will receive three (3) severe weather tickets for guests to view the ceremony in the Breidegam Field House. Additional guests can view the ceremony live-streamed in Johnston Hall. If the ceremony is outdoors, no tickets are needed and the number of guests is unlimited.
- The severe weather announcement, if needed, will be posted on Friday, May 8 by 5:00 p.m. on the College’s website, and also communicated via campus email.
- Click here for detailed information regarding the severe weather plan
- All College parking lots will be open to guests, although some may be designated as handicapped parking only. Campus police will be available to assist with directions and traffic control. Please leave ample time to find parking before Commencement begins.
- Shuttle service will be available from Lots W and X before and after the Commencement ceremony.
- A map showing campus parking lots is available online: www.moravian.edu/campusmaps
ADA PARKING AND SEATING ACCESS
- It is strongly recommended that those with mobility issues be dropped off in the vicinity of the Haupert Union Building (HUB). Drop-off and pick-up will be on W. Laurel St. between Orchard St. and Monocacy St. in the posted area.
- Handicapped parking will be available in Lots I, J, and where designated on W. Laurel Street between Monocacy and Gessinger Streets. Campus police will be on site to assist.
- The campus entrance at Main St. & W. Locust St. will be closed to traffic after 8:30 a.m.
- Accessible seating is available on the HUB portico for those with limited mobility and their three guests. Guests with ADA needs are also welcome to seat themselves on the field. Accessible restrooms are available on the lower and upper levels of the HUB as well as the first floor of the Priscilla Payne Hurd Academic Complex (PPHAC).
- Live-streaming video of the event will be captioned. Guests watching the video in the provided, on-campus locations or live streaming at home will see the text displayed. A separate text-only website is also available, www.moravian.edu/captions, which is a more data-plan-friendly option for people using their personal mobile devices.
- The College has arranged for a professional photographer to take pictures of graduates receiving their diplomas. GradImages will contact you after the ceremony to ask if you would like to purchase the photo.
- In order to be respectful to all graduates, other professional photographers are not permitted.
VIDEO OF CEREMONY (POST CEREMONY)
- A professional videographer will record the entire Commencement ceremony and it will be available to view and download free of charge approximately one month after the ceremony.
- View: www.moravian.edu/commencement-video (once posted)
- Download: www.moravian.edu/commencement-file (once posted)
ROSE BOUQUET SALES
- Bouquets of roses are available for pre-purchase or cash-and-carry on Commencement day.
- All proceeds benefit the Crime Victims Council of the Lehigh Valley, a nonprofit, United Way agency. Orders may be placed online: http://cvclv.org/fundraisers-events/graduation-rose-sale1/
- Light refreshments will be served immediately after the ceremony. Tables will be set up on the PPHAC patio (across from the HUB) or, in the event of rain, at various locations in the HUB.
- A Moravian legacy is daughter, son, granddaughter, grandson, sister, brother, niece, nephew, or any relative of a Moravian College graduate.
- Immediately following Commencement all legacy graduates are invited to a reception and have a complimentary photo taken with their Moravian alumni family member(s).
- Location to be determined; please check online: www.moravian.edu/commencement/alumni-legacy
- Moravian College encourages persons with disabilities to participate in all of its programs and activities. If you, or a guest, require special access on campus, please contact the Director of Academic and Accessibility Support via phone (610) 861-1401 or email, email@example.com at least two weeks prior to commencement. Accessible seating for guests and two (2) companions during commencement is also on the HUB portico.
- Moravian College uses a software application called MERIT (http://moravian.meritpages.
com/) to share student achievements, like Graduation and Dean's Honors List, with the hometown media outlets in each of our students' hometown. Once the list of all our graduates is uploaded into MERIT, a notice is automatically sent to hometown media outlets with the announcement.
- The 2020 Benigna Yearbook is now on sale and can be ordered:
- Online at www.balfour.com (type “Moravian College” in order to reach our storefront)
- By phone, 1-800-853-1337, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. CST
- By mail (an order form was mailed home to parents/guardians)
- For questions about the yearbook, please contact Vivianna Samite, Director of Student Involvement at 610-861-1493 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
QUESTIONS AND HELPFUL CAMPUS TELEPHONE NUMBERS
Senior Send-off Activities & Reservations
Parking & Emergencies
Gowns, Announcements & Gifts
Academic & Accessibility Support
Office of the Provost
Severe Weather Plan Update
- Commencement information and helpful links may also be found on Moravian College’s website: www.moravian.edu/commencement.
NOTE: A letter directing parents to the Moravian College Commencement website will be sent in early March and and will be based on a computer list of potential graduates. If in doubt about their graduation status, students should verify their qualifications for graduation with their advisor and the Registrar.