Accessibility Services

Prospective Students

In many instances, the quality of disability services provided at a university can be an important factor in the decision-making process.  The Accessibility Services Center (ASC) encourages students to plan their transition to the university early.  We welcome the opportunity to meet with prospective students who are interested in applying to Moravian University.  Below are some frequently asked questions to help answer the most common questions we answer.  

Is there a separate admissions procedure for students with disabilities?

No, the application process and criteria are the same for all students applying to Moravian University.  The Admissions staff does not consider disabilities when reviewing a student's application materials.

I have been diagnosed with a disorder/condition. Will I automatically be granted accommodations?

A diagnosis alone does not qualify a student for accommodations. In addition, the student must have documentation of the existence of a condition that substantially limits a major life activity.

Should I send my disability documentation with my application?

No.  After admission, students should share their documentation with us as they register for services.  The Health Center will not transfer documentation to us.  

I have been admitted to Moravian University.  When should I register with the Accessibility Services Center?
To request services or accommodations, students need to complete an Intake Form and submit their supporting documentation.  

  • For first-year students requesting accessible on-campus housing, please complete the Intake Form and submit supporting documentation to the ASC by May 5
  • For transfer students requesting accessible housing, please complete the Intake Form and submit supporting documentation to the ASC as early as possible after notification of admission. 
  • To ensure timely accommodation approval, students should submit all disability requests and documentation to the ASC by July 15.

What documentation is required to receive disability services?

Documentation must be current, within the last three years, and comprehensive. There are established guidelines for documenting disabling conditions and functional limitations.  For more specific information, please refer to the Documentation Guidelines, send an email to, or call us at 610-861-1401 for more information.

Eligibility guidelines and accommodations may vary from high school or other educational institutions the student may have attended. Therefore, an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan alone is not sufficient documentation.

Who at the college will know about my disability if I register with the ASC?

There are instances in which courses, equipment, or facilities may need to be adapted to provide accommodations.  In those instances, only those individuals, such as certain faculty and staff, will be notified, and they are notified based on "need-to-know."   Students have the right to determine who receives their disability-related information and the right to confidentiality.  The ASC does not store disability information on the campus's central database system.  

What happens after my disability documentation is approved?

Once the ASC has received the student's completed Intake Form and supporting documentation, we will review the materials and send an email to the student's Moravian email address asking them to schedule a meeting with a staff member.  The student will meet with an ASC staff member to discuss their individual needs and discuss possible accommodations.  Once the ASC staff member and the student agree on the accommodations, the ASC will notify their professors. 

Does the University have tutoring services?

Yes, Academic Support provides tutoring and peer-learning services.

Is there a fee for Disability Services?

Moravian University does not charge a fee for providing disability services.  However, students are responsible for all aids or assistance of a personal nature, such as wheelchairs, hearing aids, or the support of an attendant who would provide personal assistance (i.e., bathing, dressing, eating, etc.).

When will my accommodations be approved?

Until a student has been accepted and paid their deposit, they are not considered a student at Moravian University. However, we encourage prospective students to meet with us to discuss general information regarding possible accommodations to assist them with their university search and decision-making process. 

If you have further questions, we are happy to answer general questions about our services. Please contact the Accessibility Services Center (ASC) by sending an email to or calling (610) 861-1401.