The German Major Requires Ten Courses Above GERM 105
Four required courses
- GERM 110 Introductory German III
- GERM 210 German Culture in Context: Art & Contemporary Culture
- GERM 215 German Culture in Context: Literature & Film
- GERM 241 Introduction to German Literature
Two additional courses at the 200 level and two courses at the 300 level
- GERM 325 Berlin in Film and Literature
- GERM 341 Women in German Literature and Culture
- GERM 344 Young German Writers: Search for Identity
- GERM 350. 20th-Century German Theater
- GERM 360 German Literature from 1949 to the Present
One 300 level course must be taken at the University in the senior year.
All students majoring in German will be required to study abroad for a minimum of one semester (taking three courses minimum) in a country where German is the principal language. Courses taken during study abroad must be approved by the department prior to the student’s registration for the program.
The ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview Requirement
All non-native speakers of German who are candidates for secondary teacher certification are required to pass the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) with a minimum grade of Intermediate High in order to be recommended by the Department of Modern Languages for student teaching.
Content Area Tests - required prior to certification
5511 Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge
5183 German: World Language
Test scores should be reported to Moravian University (RA2418) and the Pennsylvania Department of Education.