Funding Opportunities through Moravian College
Moravian College offers several scholarships for students who study or intern abroad. For questions about the funding opportunities through Moravian College, please contact the Office of International Studies at email@example.com.
- Students must be full-time baccalaureate degree candidates in good standing
- Academic (at least a 2.7GPA)
- Disciplinary, as identified by the Office of Student Affairs
- Financial, defined as follows: student’s account reflects current charges, authorized financial aid and zero net balance owed to the institution. Students with unresolved financial obligations (at the time the student applies for study abroad), including missing financial aid documentation, are ineligible for scholarship consideration.
For Fall awards: April 30
For Spring awards: October 31
For May/Summer awards: March 1
The Engels Scholarship
The Engels Scholarships will be awarded by first selecting individuals with greatest potential for academic and personal success in a study abroad program from students who had applied to the office of international studies. Selection would be based on such factors as grade point average, faculty recommendations, and essays from applying students on their study abroad goals. In turn, the Office of Financial Aid Services will thoroughly evaluate the financial need of qualified students. Finally, based on careful consideration of merit and need, the Engels Scholarships would be awarded in varying, appropriate amounts to four or more deserving students.
- OIS forwards names to the Office of Financial Aid Services (FAS).
- Based on financial need as assessed by FAS, students will be awarded funds, amounts determined by fund availability and number of successful applications.
Alexander, Elizabeth & Joann Trotsky Study Abroad Endowed Scholarship Fund
The purpose of this fund is to provide scholarship awards to one or more deserving undergraduate students who will participate in study abroad opportunities offered by the College throughout the calendar year including, but not limited to, funding opportunities for students who will participate in research projects, service learning projects, internships, or other individually designed projects or programs while studying abroad. Conditions of the fund: to be used for a student or students with demonstrated need and a good academic record who will study abroad at any given point throughout the calendar year."
- Funds can be awarded for any approved learning experience abroad, including faculty-led travel
- Applicants must submit an essay relating their experience abroad to their future career objectives
- Eligibility for funds based on financial need will be determined by FAS.
- OIS will make final award determination.
Donald N. Diehl Study Abroad Scholarship Fund
Scholarship funds will be distributed on an equal basis among the approved study abroad students. Application should include recommendation from the student's department or advisor.
- Students must apply to their program abroad through the OIS application portal. The online application includes essays.
- Students must submit a letter of recommendation from a professor or major advisor that speaks to the student’s potential for academic success.
- Successful awardees will receive $160 per unit of coursework done abroad, with a minimum of $100 and maximum of $600. For example, a student recipient earning 3.75 units of credit during a semester-long program will receive $600. A recipient on a 1-unit May term program will receive $160.
Funding Opportunities through approved providers
5 grants available to Moravian College students each semester (Fall 2018 & Spring 2019)
- Students must start an application for a 3-block Open Campus semester to be eligible
- Students who attend 1 Global Institute location receive a $4,000 grant
- Students who complete their 3 blocks across 2 or 3 Global Institute locations receive a $6,000 grant
- Fall 2018 grant nomination deadline is March 30, 2018
- Spring 2019 grant nomination deadline is September 30, 2018
- If combining with other applicable CIEE awards, students may not receive more than $6,500 total
- Semester long programs: $1,000 discount
- Summer programs: $500 discount
Funding Opportunities through outside agencies
Many of Moravian's providers offer scholarships and discounts to Moravian students. Please check the individual program pages for details. Other scholarships are available for undergraduate students to study abroad including:
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Gilman Scholarship Program is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
Application deadline: usually early March for summer and academic year awards
The Boren Scholarship, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provides unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The scholarship provides up to $20,000 for a year-long program, $10,000 for a semester long program and $8,000 for STEM majors to participate in a summer program.
Application Deadline: usually early February for summer and academic year awards
CLS The Critical Language Scholarship Program
The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program is a fully funded summer overseas language and cultural immersion program for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students. CLS is a program of the U.S. Department of State.
Application Deadline: usually early November for summer awards
Project Global Officer (GO)
Project GO is a Department of Defense initiative aimed at improving the language skills, regional expertise, and intercultural communication skills of future military officers. Current ROTC cadets at Moravian studying Arabic, Chinese, or Russian are eligible for intensive summer language study scholarships.Application Deadline: February 1st for summer awards