Summer MUSIC INSTITUTE - Vocal
July 16-20, 2018
- A vocalist in 9th-12th grade?
- Singing in your school's musical production or chorus?
- Singing in a choir?
- Motivated to learn from the best?
- Dreaming to sing your whole life long?
THEN THE MORAVIAN COLLEGE SUMMER VOCAL INSTITUTE IS FOR YOU
|Dates||July 16-20, 2018|
|Program Fees:||$400 / $450 (with private lessons)|
|Registration & Deadline:||Please submit registration form with $50 deposit (non-refundable)|
|Payment In Full Due:||Friday, June 22, 2018|
|Vocal Concert Date:||Friday, July 20, 2018, 7:00 pm|
Summer Vocal Institute Description
The MCMI Summer Music Institute for vocalists is open to students entering grades 9-12 in the fall of 2018. The camp is open to interested students of all levels, with possibilities of taking lessons and singing in small ensembles for jazz, Broadway or classical. All campers will sing in the choir, which will also include performing pieces in a variety of styles.
- To provide opportunities for students to participate in a choir, singing music from a variety of genres.
- To provide classes in theory and musicianship that will support the student’s development as a performer. Additional electives will likely include early music, opera, the human voice, and movement.
- To give students the opportunity to work in small ensembles, focusing on jazz, Broadway or classical music.
- To enable the students to work with one of our vocal teachers on general technique or on a specific piece in preparation for auditions.
- Participation in small ensembles (jazz, Broadway, classical) and choir
- Theory and Musicianship
- Electives in history of opera, technology, the human voice, Dalcroze and movement, and early music
- Optional private lessons (includes 2 - 30 minute lessons, work with accompanist, and recording
Lesson, Coaching and Audition Recording Elective
In this track, students will have two 30-minute lessons with a member of our vocal faculty, and prepare for a recording session with an accompanist or vocal coach for two 30-min sessions. On Friday, they will record one song, which will be mastered and sent to the student. Requests for specific teachers will be honored if scheduling permits. There are limited spots for this track, and a $50 additional fee.
This week-long camp begins on Monday morning at 9:00 am with an organizational meeting that transitions quickly into the first full day of classes. The typical day runs from 9:00-4:00 with an hour long break for lunch. The students will play in a final, capstone performance on Friday July 20th at 7:00 in Foy Concert Hall, admission is free.
Participation in the camp includes lunch daily. Participants will eat meals in Clewell Dining Hall, Monday through Friday
Registration and Fees
- Option 1: The fee for the week-long camp is $400.00 per student, which includes camp instruction, participation in ensembles and lunch.
- Option 2: The fee for the week-long camp is $450 for students opting to add private lessons.
You can register for either option by returning the Summer Vocal Institute Registration Form to:
Summer Music Institute @ Moravian College
1200 Main Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018-6650
Because our standards for achievement are high, we accept highly motivated students who will enjoy the classes as well as the cultural activities. It is, therefore, important to know that failure to comply with regulations will be grounds for immediate dismissal from the program. Parents and/or guardians will be contacted as soon as any unsatisfactory behavior is recognized. No refunds will be issued if you are dismissed for behavioral issues.
The Summer Vocal Camp Faculty will consist of Moravian College Music Department teaching faculty.
- Dr Neil Wetzel, Camp Director (bio)
- Dr. Paula Zerkle, Musical Director (bio)
- The Summer Vocal Institute Faculty will consist of Moravian College Music Department teaching faculty.
Moravian College Music Institute
Following the tradition of over 250 years of music in Bethlehem and located in the historic district, THE MORAVIAN COLLEGE MUSIC INSTITUTE encourages the art of music through study and performance at all levels for any student or member of the community. Offerings include private lessons, master classes, group ensembles and Suzuki education.
MCMI offers excellent year round concert programming to suit any musical taste.
For More Information on Classes or MCMI Events, call 610.861.1650 or email firstname.lastname@example.org