Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Student and Teacher work together on Moravian University campus in Bethlehem, PA

Frequently Asked Questions

If you or someone you know has been invited to participate in Moravian’s Student Conduct Process, you may have some questions and concerns. We have compiled some frequently asked questions along with answers to help assist through this process. If you don't find the information you are looking for, don't hesitate to contact us at 610-861-1503.

I received an email notification about a meeting with Student Development Staff. What should I expect?

If you are contacted to meet with a Case Administrator from our office, you may be asked to participate in one of the following types of meetings below: 

  • Student Development Meeting: You may have been involved in an incident that may not violate University Policy but is of concern and could lead to future violations. This meeting is an educational conversation to help encourage choices to lead you to success and prevent problematic behaviors and decision-making. This does not become part of your conduct record.
  • Student Conduct Meeting: You are being alleged to have violated a Community Standard. The meeting provides you an opportunity to share information and your perspective on what occurred. Based upon the information provided from the initial report and the meeting, a decision on whether or not you are responsible for the policy violation(s) will be made by a Case administrator or referred to a Discipline Review Committee (DRC). View outline of the CONDUCT PROCESS. If you are found responsible for a violation, this will become part of your educational record.  

Why am I being contacted about an incident that happened off-campus?

All students and student organizations of Moravian University are held accountable to the Student Code of Conduct. By choosing to become a member of Moravian University, you represent the University both on- and off-campus and are making decisions that not only impact you but other members of your community. Specifically, the Code applies to behavior that occurs off-campus if the University determines that behavior:

  • presents a danger or threat to the health or safety of self or others, including any behavior that may violate the University's Respect for Self Community Standard
  • infringes on the rights or property of self or others
  • breaches the peace and/or causes social disorder
  • is detrimental to the educational mission and/or interests of the University.

What happens if I do not attend a Student Conduct Meeting or Discipline Review Committee Hearing?

Students may choose not to attend a Student Conduct Meeting or Discipline Review Committee (DRC) hearing. In such cases, the Case Administrator or DRC will decide on the case based solely on the information provided at the meeting. You will receive a letter with the outcome and, if assigned sanctions, you would be responsible for completing those sanctions.

What are my rights as a responding party?

You can find a list of the Responding Party's Rights here.

What happens if my support person cannot attend my conduct meeting? Can I have the meeting rescheduled?

Student Conduct Meeting and DRC hearings will be scheduled to not conflict with your academic schedule. Your support person's schedule will not typically be considered a reason to reschedule a meeting. You are permitted to replace your support person with another at any point in the process and are encouraged to identify a backup support person. 

Will my parent/guardian be notified if I am found responsible for violating University policy?

In most cases, parent(s) and/or guardian(s) are not notified of conduct violations. If you are under 21 years and found responsible for a drug and/or alcohol violation, our office will send a letter to the parent/guardian address on file. Emergency contact or parent(s) and/or guardian(s) may also be notified in emergencies, such as hospital transport.

What can I do if I disagree with the outcome of a case?

You are allowed to appeal a case outcome. Appeals must be submitted by 4 pm on the seventh day following the delivery of the outcome letter. The outcome letter will include information on the appeal process. For your request to be considered, your appeal must be based on one or more of the following grounds:

  • A violation of the University's procedures occurred that substantially impacted the original outcome.
  • New information, unavailable when the original decision was made that would have substantially altered the original outcome.
  • Sanction(s) is substantially disproportionate to the severity of the appellant's violation and/or cumulative conduct record.

What happens if I do not or am unable to complete my sanctions by the deadline?

Students who fail to complete their sanctions as outlined in their outcome letter may be subject to another conduct process for violating the Community Standards. If found responsible, additional sanctions, including fines, may be applied. Continued failures to complete sanctions may result in suspension or expulsion from the University. However, if you cannot complete sanctions by the original deadline, you should notify your Case Administrator a few days before the due date. Ensure that you explain why you are requesting an extension. Such requests are not guaranteed to be accepted and vary on a case-by-case basis.

How is the conduct process different from a criminal process?

The student conduct process differs from the criminal process in purpose and scope. The conduct process seeks to address University policy violations through a developmental approach and is not primarily focused on punishment. The purpose of the conduct process is to maintain the campus community's safety while addressing the needs of all students. 

Criminal and civil courts use higher standards of evidence such as "clear and convincing" or "beyond a reasonable doubt." The conduct process avoids legalistic terminology and instead makes decisions based on whether the information presented in a case shows that it is more likely than not that a violation occurred. Further, the conduct process is not subject to the typical procedural rules governing criminal and civil court processes.

Why do I have to go through the conduct process if I am already going through the criminal process?

Although the student conduct process is separate from and serves a different purpose than the criminal and civil processes, some behaviors that result in a student conduct process may also subject a responding party to criminal or civil proceedings. The University is obligated to address behavior that is inconsistent with its standards and expectations. If charged with a violation of University policy, you must go through the conduct process because you are a member of the campus community. By becoming a member of the Campus community, you have agreed to abide by and be held accountable to the expectations and policies of the University.

How will my conduct case affect my application to other schools and places of employment?

Most institutions of higher education request a student's disciplinary history as part of the application process. It is strongly recommended that you are forthcoming about any conduct history. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) allows the University to release educational records to higher education institutions for which a student is an applicant.

Employers in certain fields may elect to require a background check that includes releasing a student's university disciplinary history. This information will not be released to an employer without a release from the student.

Upon receiving a request for information and any necessary authorization for release, we will release information for each incident where a student was found responsible for a policy violation. The release will typically include the following:

  • Date of incident
  • Allegation(s) resulting in a responsible finding
  • Suspension or Expulsion sanctions with effective dates (if applicable)
  • Sanction status (In Progress, Incomplete/Overdue, Complete)

Will my records be removed after a certain period of time?

Student disciplinary records are kept indefinitely but will only typically be released for a period of seven years from a student's last date of attendance except in cases resulting in suspension or expulsion, which will be released indefinitely.

Who can submit a report or concern?

Anyone that may have witnessed or been informed of potential violation(s) of University policy, state and/or federal laws may submit a report. The Office of Student Development will review all reports and determine whether further investigation is needed.

If I submit a report or concern, who will know?

Information submitted to the office is treated with the utmost respect and privacy. Only individuals who need the information to carry out their function at the University and those participating in any investigation or conduct process will review the report. If you have particular concerns about how the information may be used or how your identity will be involved in the process, don't hesitate to contact us at 610-861-1503.

What happens once I submit a report?

Depending on the circumstances, the University may move forward with an allegation that a student or student organization has violated the Code based on the information provided. The University may also work with the reporting party to explore informal resolution options when appropriate. In some cases, the information provided will be stored in a secure database to be used in the future as necessary. If the situation is not a policy violation, the information may help support students who an incident has impacted.

Do I have to attend a conduct meeting?

If you have been invited to participate as a reporting party at a Student Conduct Meeting or DRC hearing, you may choose not to attend. In such cases, the Case Administrator or DRC will decide on the case based solely on the information provided at the meeting.

What are my rights as a Reporting Party?

You can find a list of the Reporting Party's rights here.

What happens if my Support Person cannot attend my conduct meeting? Can I have the meeting rescheduled?

If you have been invited to participate as a reporting party at a Student Conduct Meeting or DRC hearing, the meeting or hearing will be scheduled such that they do not conflict with your academic schedule. Your support person's schedule will not typically be considered a reason to reschedule a meeting. You are permitted to replace your support person with another at any point in the process and are encouraged to identify a backup support person. 

Would I be notified of the hearing outcome after I submit a report?

In cases involving violence, the reporting party will be notified in writing of the outcome of any Conduct or Discipline Review Committee meeting, including any sanctions that relate to the reporting party.

I was asked to attend a meeting as a witness. Does this mean I am in trouble?

Not necessarily. This may mean that you have information regarding an incident that a Reporting Party or Responding Party would like you to bring forward. 

Do I have to be present for the meeting?

You are not required to attend a Student Conduct Meeting. However, the information you possess may be vital in the resolution of a case. You also have the option of submitting your statement in writing via email or other means of your choice to a Case Administrator. 

Who can be a support person?

A support person can be a current Moravian University student, faculty, or staff.

I was asked to be a support person. What will I be expected to do?

You will be expected to be a support for the student while they go through the conduct process. You may confer with the student during the conduct meeting but will not be allowed to ask questions or be directly involved in the conduct meeting. To maintain a fair and equitable process, the University reserves the right to request the removal of a support person from a meeting who does not remain within the expectations of their role.

Why was I not notified of my student’s conduct meetings?

Correspondence in a case will be made directly between the case administrator and the involved parties. The student you are supporting is expected to share any information they want you to see and invite you to meetings they want you to attend.


Student Development

Lower Level of the HUB
Bethlehem, PA 18018

Phone: 610-861-1503
Fax: 610-625-7794

Secure File Transfer: Click here to send a secure file to Student Development