Eva Marikova Leeds
Professor of Economics and Business (1999)
- B.A., Michigan State University, Phi Beta Kappa
- M.A., Ph.D., Princeton University
Office: Comenius Hall, Room 214
Areas of Research and/or Expertise
Sports economics, economic development, event studies, financial markets, mortgage banking, Czech privatization and transition.
Dr. Leeds received her undergraduate degree in political theory from James Madison College at Michigan State University and her M.A. and Ph.D. in economics from Princeton University. She was a Fulbright Lecturer in 1991 and an advisor to the minister of the economy in the Czech Republic in 1994-95. She was a visiting scholar at the University of Michigan in 2006-7 and a visiting associate professor at Temple University Japan in Tokyo in 2007-9.
For a complete list of presentations and publications, view Dr. Leeds CV.
- “Gold, Silver, and Bronze: Determining National Success in Men’s and Women’s Summer Olympic Events,” with Michael Leeds, Jahrbücher f. Nationalökonomie u. Statistik, 232(3), 279-292.
- Handbook on the Economics of Women’s Sports, Edward Elgar, 2013, co-edited with Michael Leeds.
- International Soccer Success and National Institutions, with Michael Leeds, Journal of Sports Economics, August 2009, 369-390.
- A Stadium by Any Other Name: The Value of Naming Rights,” with Michael Leeds and Irina Pistolet, Journal of Sports Economics, December 2007, 581-595.
- Her book reviews appeared in Eastern Economic Journal and Comparative Economic Studies.
Recent Activities of Note
- “Football Coaches’ Salaries and Rent-sharing: The Case of the BCS,” (with Michael Leeds), Western Economic Association International 89th Annual Conference, Denver, CO, July 2014.
- “Gender, Preferences, and Comebacks,” (with Michael Leeds and Lauren Banko), Southern Economic Association 83rd Annual Conference, Tampa, FL, November 2013.
- “Was there an ‘Annika Sorenstam’ Effect in the LPGA?” (with Michael Leeds), ODE Session of the Allied Social Science Associations Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, January 2013.
- “The Future of the Euro,” YWCA Great Decisions Lecture Series, Bethlehem, PA, February 2013.