Bethlehem pulses with concerts, restaurants, arts and all the local appeal of a college town. Yet it also sits in just the right spot for an easy drive to New York City, Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia. Known as the Christmas City, Bethlehem is so regarded for its history that it’s been added to the UNESCO World Heritage site short list, hoping to join such historic sites as Independence Hall, the Statue of Liberty and the pyramids of Egypt.
A Small City with a Big Heart
Moravian’s two campuses book end a mile-stretch of Bethlehem’s Main Street, including a so-adorable-it-hurts block of Historic Bethlehem where well-priced vintage stores, art galleries, and local olive oil and chocolate purveyors share the street with inns and buildings that have roots as deep as our country’s humble beginning.
Main Street is a huge reason why over 75,000 people call Bethlehem home—hopefully you will, too. While you're on Main Street, visit America's oldest continuously operating book seller, the Moravian Book Shop, which also happens to be the student bookstore for Moravian University.
Our Favorite Events
Bethlehem is a constantly-evolving blend of culture and commerce, progress and preservation. What does that mean for you? There’s always something to do. Don't miss these festivals, street fairs, and concerts throughout the year:
- Musikfest: A free10-day music festival drawing a million visitors each August, named the Best Music Festival in North America by USA Today
- Christmas Vespers: The university's annual service at Central Moravian Church in December
- Celtic Classic: A celebration of Celtic heritage with musical, food, and traditional competitions in athletics, piping, and dance.
- Blueberry Festival: Sample sweet treats like blueberry pies, coffee cake, streusel, or pierogies, while listening to live music and watching the pet parade
- PEEPSFEST: Annual two-day New Year’s Eve festival celebrating the fun and excitement of the PEEPS® Brand at the iconic SteelStacks
Explore the Lehigh Valley
Need a break from Bethlehem? We’re right between Allentown and Easton. Together, we form the Lehigh Valley metropolitan area, home to nearly three-quarters of a million people and eight colleges and universities. In Easton you'll find the Easton Public Market and a lots of new restaurants, bars, and stores that all make for a great afternoon or evening. The Phillies Triple A team, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs are close by and the Flyers AHL team, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms are a 10-minute drive away in Allentown. Like to hit the slopes? You're in luck because Blue Mountain Resort, Camelback and Jack Frost Big Boulder are just a short drive from campus.