Bookshare is an online ebook library containing thousands of books available in MP3, DAISY, and Braille formats. It makes reading easier for people who have reading barriers such as dyslexia, blindness, and cerebral palsy, and it allows them to customize their reading experience.
The ebook library is free to students with disabilities through an award from the Office of Special Education Programs and the U.S. Department of Education.
Once a student has registered with the Accessibility Services Center (ASC) and has an academic accommodation for alternative text, the ASC will give the student instructions on setting up their membership. The individual membership will allow the student to search the Bookshare library for all of their books which will be especially helpful during your academic career at Moravian University.
Why Use Bookshare?
According to Bookshare.org, thousands of dyslexia, learning disabilities, visual impairments, physical disabilities, and other reading barriers have read millions of Bookshare books. It has empowered them to study for school, pursue careers, and read for fun.
Why do so many people use Bookshare?
- Read Your Way: Listen to books, follow along with karaoke-style highlighting, read in braille or large font, and customize your reading experience with ebooks in formats that work for YOU.
- There are 883,174 titles: Access a vast collection of titles and find virtually any book you need for school, your career, or the joy of reading.
- Read on the device YOU choose: Read anytime, anywhere you want with devices like computers, Chromebooks, tablets, smartphones, assistive technology devices, and more.
What are the benefits of using Bookshare?
- Instant download of available text
- No need to submit a request form and receipts showing proof of purchase to the ASC
- Listen to high-quality audio
- Adjust the reading speed, font, and color
- Hear and see highlighted words on the screen
- Read directly from an Internet browser
- Access to free text-to-speech software
Is Bookshare Right for Me?
Watch this video from Bookshare to find out if Bookshare is suitable for you. The video contains closed captions.
Get Started with Bookshare
- After the student receives their accommodations containing alternative text, they should send an email to asc@moravian and request an individual membership link.
- How to find books on Bookshare
- Available reading tools
- How to read books
- For tips, resources, and webinars, explore Bookshare's Learning Center.
Other Opportunities to Explore Bookshare
Bookshare offers nearly 10,000 public domain books that anyone, including non-members, can read with the Bookshare Web Reader and other compatible tools. Learn how to find and read Bookshare books that are freely available (non-copyrighted).
Check out these hand-curated lists of recommended freely available (non-copyrighted) titles: