September 21, 2022
Heritage Day is a celebration of Moravian tradition, community, and service.
Our mission states: “Moravian University’s liberal arts education prepares each individual for a reflective life, fulfilling careers, and transformative leadership in a world of change.” The University was established by the Moravians and the founding principles still inform core aspects of our culture, our community, and our academic endeavors. Tomorrow, we will spend time honoring tradition, community and service.
- 8:30 - 9:00 am: Arrive in Johnston Hall, greeted by our Moravian University Marching Band
- 9:00 - 10:30 am: Tradition:
- Welcome to Heritage Day, President Grigsby, ‘90
- Acknowledgement of Hispanic Heritage Month, Chris Hunt, Vice President and Dean for Equity and Inclusion
- Singing of Alma Mater
- Conversation with Mayor Willie Reynolds, President Grigsby, Mr. Harrison Dillard, moderated by Emma Lenthe and Sophia Rivera, student trustees and student co-chairs of Lighting the Way campaign
- Service Instructions, Gillian Sharkey, Director of Civic Engagement
- 10:30 - 12:45 pm: Service:
- Buses depart for off-campus locations/Walk to campus locations for on-campus service
- Participate in service at assigned location
- 12:45 - 2:00 pm: Community:
- 2022 photo on Mak Field
- Lunch on PPHAC patio
- 2:00 pm : Lovefeast at the big chair*
- OPTIONAL: The Lovefeast is the sharing of food among members of a group to build good-will and harmony. Here, volunteers from among the students, staff and faculty will serve pastries to the participants. We realize that in some contexts, lovefeasts are also associated with religious rituals. While linking our lovefeast to any sort of religion is not the intent, if anyone is uncomfortable with participating in this part of our day, we do not want to force them to do so.
FAQs about our 6th Annual Heritage Day
Q: What should I wear?
*Please note that this event is happening rain or shine! Make sure you are prepared for the weather!*
- Please wear a shirt that you would be ok if it got dirty, dusty or paint on it
- Long pants, jeans/if warm, shorts are ok
- Flat, closed-toed shoes - sneakers are best! No heels and no flip-flops or sandals. Sandals and flipflops will not be permitted on any work site.
- There are some sites that will be outside, so feel free to bring a hat or visor
Q: Can I bring my own water?
Yes, please feel free to bring your own reusable water bottle with you to your site.
Q: Will classes be held?
Offices will be closed and traditional classes will not be held between 7AM-4PM; all classes from 4PM on will run as scheduled.
Q: Do I pick my service site?
Yes! You are welcome to choose your own site when you enter Johnston. All you need to do is show up ready to learn, serve, and connect with our community.
Q: Where do I report on Wednesday morning? What time?
Please come to Johnston Hall -- doors open at 8:30AM and the morning program starts promptly at 9AM.
Q: Should I bring my laptop/iPad?
No, there will be no secure place to leave electronic devices during your service.
Q: Can I take pictures at the service site?
Your site captain will assign one member of your group to capture photos of the service experience. Please be mindful of taking pictures only of members of the Moravian University community. We are not permitted to take photos of children, employees, or visitors at our assigned service sites. Please be respectful of privacy.
Q: If I am at my service site, who do I call in the case of an emergency?
Your site captain will have direct contact information for the point person on campus for unexpected circumstances. In the event of a health emergency, please call 911.
Q: Do I need to bring sunscreen?
No, please apply sunscreen prior to your arrival. All sites that require work outside will have sunscreen and bugspray available to you, if needed.
Q: How do offices communicate the closure for Heritage Day?
Here are some examples:
Thank you for contacting Moravian University. As you may know, Moravian University is celebrating its 281st anniversary, and today, Wednesday, September 21st, is our sixth annual Heritage Day celebration. Our offices are closed as we celebrate Moravian tradition, community and service together as one. Thank you for your patience, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you for contacting me. As you may know, Moravian University is celebrating its 281st anniversary, and today, Wednesday, September 21st, is our sixth annual Heritage Day celebration. Our offices are closed as we celebrate Moravian tradition, community and service together as one. Thank you for your patience, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
- 2016: 1,195 students, faculty, and staff served with 27 organizations
- 2017: 1,271 students, faculty, and staff served with 44 organizations
- 2018: 1,281 students, faculty, and staff served with 47 organizations
- 2019: 1,308 students, faculty and staff served with 24 organizations
- 2020: Took a pause for the safety of our community
- 2021: 1,006 students, faculty, and staff served with 26 organizations