Curtis “Hank” & Joanne Barnette Scholarship
Prize Name: The Barnette Scholarship Cash
Award: $2000.00 award
Overview: This scholarship will be awarded to a nurse employed by St. Luke’s University Health Network who is enrolled in either the RN to BSN degree completion program or the MSN program in nursing. Scholars will be selected based upon merit and financial need and, when feasible, preference will be given to graduates of Liberty High School or Northampton Community College. This scholarship will be awarded annually.
Criteria for Award:
In order to be a candidate for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a nurse employed by St. Luke's University Health Network
- Be admitted or enrolled in the RN to BSN degree completion program or the MSN program in nursing at Moravian University.
- Have achieved at least a 3.5 grade point average in the current program.
- Submit the following materials to the Scholarship Selection Committee no later than October 1st of an academic year:
- Copies of relevant transcripts from Moravian University’s RN to BSN and/or MSN Program.
- If you are a graduate of either Liberty High School or Northampton Community College, submit copies of those transcripts.
- Transcripts may be unofficial but must be legible and included with the application.
- A brief statement (500 word maximum) is required and should reflect on your goals and aspirations as they relate to your education, career, and future plans in nursing. Explain in your statement why you are a qualified candidate and should be considered for the scholarship. Any special financial considerations that you wish the selection committee to understand should be noted in this statement (e.g., intentions to accelerate your program of study and take additional coursework this coming academic year).
- Please submit application materials to Mrs. Ann Sywensy, Administrative Support Assistant, Nursing Office in the Sally Breidegam Miksiewicz Health Sciences Center, Moravian University or send electronically to SywenskyA@Moravian.edu.
In addition, if you are selected as the recipient of this award, you must be willing to write a letter of appreciation to Mr. Hank and Mrs. Joanne Barnette and be willing to meet with the Barnettes upon request. Please submit your letter via the School of Nursing and Public Health at Moravian University. Failure to do so may result in garnishing of awarded scholarship funds.
The award recipient will be selected by the Scholarship Selection Committee on the basis of excellence in nursing scholarship, professionalism, educational commitment, and financial need. Candidates who are graduates of Liberty High School or Northampton Community College will be given special consideration for this award. Decisions will be made no later than November 1st of an academic year.