Skip to main content

Withdrawal by the University

A student who does not follow the formal withdrawal procedures may be withdrawn by the University. This may occur if the student fails to complete the registration process, to show up for classes at the beginning of a term, or to return when scheduled from an approved leave of absence, or simply "drops out" in the middle of a term. A student who has been withdrawn by the University is no longer matriculated and must apply for readmission in order to return. A student who intends to return within a year is strongly advised to follow the formal procedures for a leave of absence.

In the case of a withdrawal by the University effective after the beginning of a term, there is no adjustment of tuition, fees or institutional financial aid for that term. However, federal financial aid must be adjusted according to regulations governing the return of Title IV funds. The student is responsible to repay to the University the amount of any federal aid that is returned. It is to a student's advantage to follow the formal withdrawal procedures in a timely manner. Following are examples of the effective dates of withdrawal by the University for the purpose of the return of Title IV funds only:

  • A student who engages in academically-related activities and does not follow the formal withdrawal procedures will be considered an "enrolled" student and will not be considered formally withdrawn until notification is made to the Office of the Provost. If notification is never made by the student to the Office of the Provost, the student's withdrawal date is the midpoint of the semester, unless the University can determine the student's last date of engagement in an academically-related activity after the midpoint.
  • A student who receives grades of F in all courses due to failure to complete the semester will be considered withdrawn as of the midpoint of the semester, unless the University can document the student's participation in an academically-related activity after the midpoint.

The University (not the student) must document both that an activity is academically-related and that the student participated in the activity. Examples of academically-related activities include taking examinations, quizzes, tutorials, or computer-assisted instruction; receiving academic advising; attending academic conferences; completing an academic assignment, paper, or project; or attending a class or study group where attendance is verified. Examples of activities that are not academically-related include living in institutional housing, participating in Moravian's meal plan, participating in an athletic activity, participating in a music-related activity that is not required for class, and working on campus.

Administrative Withdrawal from Class

Prior to the announced last day for students to withdraw with a "W," instructors may request an administrative withdrawal for a student who has been absent from class without notification for a period of three weeks or more.  The request will be submitted to the registrar in writing.  The registrar will then consult with one of the academic deans on the appropriateness of the request.  If a student's status changes from full-time to part-time as a result of the administrative "W," the bursar and financial aid will make appropriate adjustments to the student's account for said term. Students who are absent with notification may not be withdrawn by the instructor.