After all these years, we're still taking cues from Comenius' original quest: To seek and to find those methods of instruction which will best help students to become knowledgeable, effective and humane teachers, teachers who will think carefully and clearly about how their beliefs, practices, and decisions will affect the lives of children.
The Education Department at Moravian University will prepare you to do just that. We send teachers out into the world who:
- are scholars as well as teachers;
- are committed to the academic success of all of their students;
- are concerned with the personal as well as the intellectual development of their students;
- use pedagogical strategies which are firmly grounded in empirical research;
- understand the value of self-reflection and continuing professional development;
- view education as a means to bring forth social justice and transform the world.
Come explore our more than 20 undergraduate certifications and graduate programs and certifications. Learn about our faculty, or read our most recent research. Programs in teacher education are approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
“Liberating education consists in acts of cognition, not transferals of information.” —Paulo Freire
First Special-Ed Cohort Graduates
Jean DesJardin, director of early childhood education, saw a need for our students to have the opportunity to get a certification in special education. "As classrooms have become increasingly inclusive, there is a crying need in school districts for teachers with special education expertise," says DesJardin. So four years ago, she launched Moravian's self-designed major in special education, leading to dual certification in Early Childhood Education PreK-4 and Special Education PreK-8.