Early Childhood Education pk-grade 4
The Early Childhood Education certification program at Moravian College prepares knowledgeable and competent professionals to become educational leaders. We provide a comprehensive approach to mentoring pre-service teachers through teaching and research.
Moravian College's early childhood pre-service teachers are knowledgeable about the organization and philosophy of early childhood education, developmentally appropriate practices, child development, the pre-kindergarten through fourth grade curriculum, strategies and skills for effective practice and management, the use of date to inform instruction, current skills in the use of educational technology, and the design of successful interventions responsive to the needs of individual children.
Early childhood certification candidates are required to complete a liberal arts core of studies, an academic major in any discipline, education courses for teacher certification, and a sequence of field experiences that are developmentally appropriate, linked directly to education coursework, and occur in a variety of educational settings.
Students seeking certification in early childhood education must complete a major of their choice as well as the College’s program of general education (Learning in Common). If preferred, early childhood education certification candidates may complete a pre-approved interdisciplinary program, which is composed of either eight or nine course units. Students should consult with departmental advisors for details concerning the selected major.
Professional Education Courses Required for Certification
Recommended for the freshman year
- EDUC 100.2 Intro. to the Education of English Language Learners (fall)
- EDUC 160 Culture, Community & Diversity: Intro. to Critical Pedagogy (spring; 40 hour Stage 1 & 2 Field Experience/ fulfills M3)
- EDUC 214.2 Music and Movement (spring)
Recommended for the sophomore year
- EDUC 210 Child Development & Cognition I (fall, 40 hour Stage 1 & 2 Field Experience)
- EDUC 213.2 Imagination & Creativity in Young Children (fall)
- EDUC 216 Early Childhood Theories, Practices, & Family Partnerships (fall)
- EDUC 244 Including Students with Disabilities (fall)
- EDUC 211 Child Development & Cognition II (spring, 40 hour Stage 1 & 2 Field Experience)
- EDUC 222 Emerging Language & Literacy, PK-Grade 4 (spring, Educ 211 Co-requisite)
Recommended for the junior year
- EDUC 312 Data Driven Analysis & Decision Making in ECE (fall)
- EDUC 322 PK-Grade 4 Inst. Strategies for Math Thinking (fall with 358.2)
- EDUC 324 PK-Grade 4 Social Studies (fall with 358.2)
- EDUC 358.2 Pre-Student-Teaching Field Experience (fall, 75 hour Stage 3 Field Experience)
- EDUC 218.2 Wellness, Movement & Health for Young Children (spring)
- EDUC 321 Language Arts for Children, PK-Grade 4 (spring with 359.2)
- EDUC 323 PK Inst. Strategies for Scientific & Quantitative Reasoning (spring with 359.2)
- EDUC 359.2 Pre-Student-Teaching Field Experience (spring, 75 hour Stage 3 Field Experience)
Recommended for the senior year
- EDUC 375-7 Student Teaching Experience (fall recommended, Stage 4 Field Experience)
- EDUC 370 Seminar for EC: Advocacy, Ethics, Leadership, Collaboration