Undergraduate Teacher Education Admission Requirements
Acceptance to Moravian University does not guarantee that a student will be accepted into the teacher certification program. There is a two-step process for obtaining certification:
For initial admission into the program, students must have completed or been in the process of completing:
- 48 credit hours (12 course units).
- A 3.0 GPA in the 48 credit hours.
- 6 credit hours (1.5 units) of college-level mathematics. (These credits may be part of the initial 48 credits.)
- 3 credit hours in English composition and 3 credit hours in English literature. (These credit hours may be part of 48 initial credits and can be met by the Writing 100 course and the literature requirement.)
- A passing grade on the PAPA or CORE test, or an exemption from SAT or ACT.
- U.S. citizenship or a declared intent to file for U.S. citizenship. (This requirement is mandated by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and applies to teachers of all subjects except foreign languages.)
Students who intend to obtain teaching certificates must make formal application to the Teacher Education Committee. Applications should be submitted during the academic year preceding the student teaching semester. To apply to student teach, students must make formal application to the Teacher Education Committee. The Committee approves applications on the basis of the following criteria:
- Scholarship. Students must achieve a minimum 2.70 overall QPA to register for professional education courses numbered 200 or above. Standards for admission to student teaching include a minimum 3.0 overall GPA, 3.0 in the academic major, and 3.0 in the professional education sequence.
- Recommendation of the major department. Though emphasized in all cases, the recommendation is particularly necessary when the student's academic record is marginal in terms of the established standards. Post-baccalaureate students are required to obtain letters of recommendation from current or past employers.
- Recommendation of the Education Department, based on completion of initial professional courses.
- Evidence of successful experience with children or youth, including volunteer and required course-related work. All students are required to successfully complete at least one stage 1 & 2 field experience, as well as the stage 3 pre-student teaching experience, prior to being approved for student teaching.
- Evidence of written and oral communications skills, as demonstrated by college work, fieldwork, and personal conferences or interviews.
- Evidence of positive character, including the evaluation of the dean of students. Submission of a signed application to the teacher certification program will give the Teacher Education Committee the continuing right to review and report student personnel files relevant to the applicant's behavior at Moravian University.
- US citizenship. The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires that candidates for a teaching certificate (except in foreign languages) be U.S. citizens or have declared an intent to file for citizenship.