Skip to main content

Professional Licensure

At Moravian College, programs in certain licensed professions are designed to fulfill the educational prerequisites for licensure in Pennsylvania. This means that, when a student graduates from a Moravian College professional program, that student has the minimum educational qualifications to apply for Pennsylvania licensure in his/her field, or, where relevant, to sit for the national credentialing  exam. Please note that Moravian College does not grant licensure for professions; licensure can only be granted by appropriate professional bodies.

For other U.S. states and territories, this may or may not be the case.  Within a given profession, educational requirements vary from state to state.  To assist students who now live or may one day live outside of Pennsylvania, Moravian College is currently updating a resource that explains whether each Moravian College & Moravian Theological Seminary professional program fulfills educational requirements for a license credential in each U.S. state and territory.  Until that resource is complete, students who want assistance making this determination for themselves can contact either their academic advisor or their profession’s licensure board in the state of interest (outside of Pennsylvania).

Moravian College participation in the State Authorization Reciprocity Act (SARA) through its membership in NC-SARA.  NC-SARA has provided a Professional Licensure Directory with contact information for all 50 states and 3 territories for the following professional areas:

  • Counseling (offered at Moravian Theological Seminary)
  • Nursing (offered at Moravian College)
  • Social work (offered at Moravian Theological Seminary)
  • Teacher Education (offered at Moravian College)

You will find information on professional licensure requirements for all relevant Moravian College programs below.   If you need assistance in obtaining additional state contact information or you have any additional questions, you may contact your advisor or the chair/program director of your program here at Moravian College


When you are taking courses online, where you live—the place from which you access academic resources, your location—matters.  Moravian College is presently authorized to offer curricula online in all 50 states, through our participation in NC-SARA (all states but California) and our status as a private, not-for-profit institution (which provides this same authorization for the State of California). 

Please note: This information is solely provided as an additional resource, and may not represent the most current policies. Please consult directly with your state to learn more about the latest requirements for license transfer or initial licensure requirements in that state.



We presently offer a number of programs leading to initial professional licensure.  These include:

Undergraduate (including post-baccalaureate) pre-licensure programs:

Graduate pre-licensure programs:

All of these programs were established to prepare students to meet the initial licensure requirements in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or to sit for national licensure exams (where relevant).  It is the student’s responsibility to verify their eligibility for licensure in their chosen state, if other than Pennsylvania.

International Compliance

Moravian College welcomes international students to its programs. Presently, we have students from over 19 countries enrolled in various programs at Moravian College.  Under normal circumstances, all of these students are enrolled in a program taking place on-campus.  Where attending classes on campus is not possible or not preferred, it is the student’s responsibility to understand requirements related to whether an online degree will be recognized in a country other than the United States, how the collection of student data may be used in another country, and whether withholding taxes (in addition to the price of tuition) will apply. Some countries may not formally recognize foreign online degrees, which may have implications for students who later seek to enroll in other educational programs, or for those who seek employment with that country’s government or other employers requiring specific credentials.

In non-COVID circumstances, none of our programs leading to initial licensure are available exclusively online.  Currently students are restricted from participating in online courses from any institution located in the United States in the following countries:  Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.


The PA State Board of Accountancy has educational requirements to sit for the CPA exam and for CPA licensure. To sit for the CPA exam, Pennsylvania requires that students complete a B.A. degree with at least 120 credit hours, including at least 24 credit hours in accounting, auditing, business law, finance, or tax subjects.  Students who graduate with a B.A. degree in Accounting from Moravian will be eligible to sit for the CPA exam in Pennsylvania.  To be licensed as a CPA in Pennsylvania, students must pass the CPA exam, complete work experience, and complete a total of 150 credit hours of education. Students with a B.A. in Accounting from Moravian will have earned 128 credit hours. The additional 22 credit hours needed for licensure can be completed within the undergraduate degree through careful planning and consultation with an academic advisor or through the completion of one of the many 4+1 degrees offered by the Economics and Business department.  Education requirements and licensure vary by state, and some states have very specific course requirements. Students who plan to take the CPA exam in states other than Pennsylvania are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor and review the state’s requirements at


The Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling program at Moravian Theological Seminary is designed to meet the academic requirements in Pennsylvania for Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC). Graduates seeking to become Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) in Pennsylvania must pass an approved exam and complete 3000 additional hours of supervised clinical experience, half of which must be under the supervision of an experienced LPC, as per Act 76 of 2018 (Senate Bill 530). Students who plan to practice counseling outside of Pennsylvania after graduating are responsible for understanding the licensing standards of the particular state in which they hope to practice. For more information, visit the website for the State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Licensed Professional Counselors.

Education (teacher certification)

Through interstate reciprocity agreements, you can convert your Pennsylvania Instructional I teaching certificate to an analogous teaching certificate in another state, allowing you the option to teach anywhere in the nation.

Reciprocity is not automatic. Contact your specific state's Department of Education to determine what criteria and materials will be required to complete the transfer. Requirements for transfer vary from state to state, but most require transcripts from your completed Moravian College teacher certification program as well as proof of your Pennsylvania Instructional I teaching certificate.  Many states also require a form to be completed by the Chair of the Education Department and the registrar, appropriately signed and sealed.  

Students who wish to receive initial certification in their home state (other than Pennsylvania) should consult their state’s Department of Education on the requirements for initial certification.  

State Transfer Policies for Teacher Certification

Below, you will find the transfer policies for teacher certification for each state.

Nursing (Registered Nurse, or RN)

Moravian College offers two programs preparing students for initial licensure as a registered nurse in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: the traditional undergraduate nursing program and the post-baccalaureate, accelerated nursing program.  The NCLEX exam is a national exam, and is the first step after graduation to receiving initial licensure as a registered nurse anywhere in the United States.  For requirements for RN licensure in your state, please contact your state board of nursing.

Generally speaking, a student who has passed the NCLEX exam can fairly easily transfer their license from one state to another.  A number of states are nursing compact states, or NCL states, where they have agreed to allow easy transfer of the license among them. Regrettably, Pennsylvania does not belong to this collective, although there is legislation pending to allow the Commonwealth to join.

The leadership of the Helen Breidegam School of Nursing has assembled a list of requirements for licensure in each state, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Please click here (opens another window) to access that information for RN licensure after completing a Moravian College program.

Nursing (Nurse Practitioner)

Moravian College offers graduate programs preparing students for initial licensure as a certified registered nurse practitioner (CRNP). At this time, each state board of nursing sets its own requirements for licensure, including number of credits, test scores, and clinical hours.  There is, however, a growing movement towards a national licensure.  Some states have begun to conform to the National Council of State Boards of Nursing APRN Consensus Model, which will help with reciprocity of licensure. If you wish to become a CRNP in a state other than Pennsylvania, please consult with your state board of nursing on the specific requirements.

The leadership of the Helen Breidegam School of Nursing has assembled a list of requirements for licensure in each state, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Please click here (opens another window) to access that information for the Adult-Geronotology and Acute Care licensure after completing a Moravian College program, and here (opens another window) to access that information for the Family 

Rehabilitation Sciences (Athletic Training, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Speech-Language Pathology)

Moravian College's curricula in professional programs in the Department of Rehabilitation Sciences (DPT, MSAT, MSOT, MS-SLP) prepares students to sit for their respective national licensure exam.  Passing this exam is the first step in applying for licensure in each state.  Please consult the appropriate state board in your state of choice for additional licensure requirements.  For Occupational Therapy, click here.