Skip to main content

Academic Standing

Dean's Honor List: Undergraduate students who carry three or more completed/graded (letter grade) course units in a Fall or Spring term and attain a GPA for the term of 3.50 or higher are placed on the Dean's Honor List.

Midterm Reports: As a courtesy, a midterm warning may be given if the instructor feels the student's work has been unsatisfactory or carries the expectation of course failure. This warning has no ultimate bearing on the final grade in the course, but the student is urged to consult the instructor and his or her academic advisor. The possible midterm grades are:

  • Satisfactory (S): Typically indicates a current grade of C or better.
  • Unsatisfactory (UM): Typically indicates a current grade of D
  • Failing (FM): Typically indicates a current grade of F
  • No Show (NM): Typically indicates that a student has not attended class or engaged in academic work in at least 3 weeks.

Good Standing: To be considered in good academic standing, a student must meet the minimum cumulative GPA requirement for graduation (2.00 for undergraduate programs; 2.75 for graduate programs at Moravian Theological Seminary; and 3.00 for all other graduate programs). In addition, they must successfully complete with passing grades at least 70% of courses attempted. Courses with posted grades of F, NC, W, or WF are considered attempted, but not successfully completed. 

Students who receive financial aid may be subject to additional course completion requirements and academic standards for continuation of aid. 

Academic Probation: When grades at the end of a term indicate that a student is not meeting requirements for good standing, the student is placed on academic probation. The record of a student on probation is evaluated at the end of each term until the student meets the conditions for Good Standing. 

Undergraduate students’ academic records are reviewed at the end of a term by the Academic Standing Review Board, which may take any of the following actions: 

  • Continue on probation for an additional term.
  • Remove from probation.
  • Require withdrawal from the University for one or more terms with the opportunity to request reinstatement at a future date.
  • Discontinue for failure to meet academic standards. Students who are discontinued will be provided an opportunity to appeal to the Academic Standing Review Board.

Graduate students are permitted one period of probation, which occurs when the student's overall GPA drops below the GPA required for graduation in that program. A graduate student on probation who fails to return to good standing after the specified period of study is subject to dismissal from the program. The student may appeal for an extension of probation, which is reviewed by the appropriate graduate program director and dean.  

Discontinuance: Whether or not they have been on probation the previous term, undergraduate students are subject to discontinuance under the following circumstances:

  • If at the end of Fall or Spring term, they fail to attain the following cumulative GPAs. Note that “scheduled units” includes any transferred course credit:
    • 0.80 after 3 scheduled units
    • 1.50 after 6 scheduled units
    • 1.80 after 12 scheduled units
    • 2.00 after 16 scheduled units
  • If at the end of Spring term, they have failed to successfully complete with passing grades at least 70% of all units on their Moravian transcript.

Students may appeal their discontinuance to the Academic Standing Review Board. If they are successful in their appeal, they may need to consult with Financial Aid regarding additional appeals to continue financial support.

Academic Dismissal (Graduate Programs): 

If a student is removed from a graduate program due to academic performance, conduct issues, or other performance issues (particularly those related to professional standards of the program), the student may appeal that decision in writing to the program director (or, where it exists, a student progression committee within the program).  If the student is not satisfied with the decision of the program director/committee, they may appeal to the appropriate college/seminary dean. If the student is not satisfied with the decision of that dean, their final appeal is to the Provost. The student has the right to meet with anyone in the appeals process in person; however, a written statement is required for each part of the appeals process.

The president only hears appeals at his/her/their discretion, and typically only where a process issue has come to light after all other lines of appeal have been pursued.

Reinstatement: Though full- or part-time students are not required to maintain continuous enrollment to remain eligible as degree candidates, their academic standing at the time of exit (leave of absence, withdrawal, discontinuance, etc.) will be preserved. Students requesting reinstatement who are not in good standing will need to have their records reviewed and develop an academic plan before reinstatement is granted.