Graduate Teacher Education Admission Requirements
Applications can be completed online, downloaded or by visiting the Graduate Studies and Continuing Education office located in Benigna Hall on the corner of Elizabeth and Monocacy Streets. Beyond the application, other admission requirements include:
- Completion of the baccalaureate degree at a duly accredited institution is required.
- State certification is required in elementary, art, music, early childhood, middle level or secondary education.
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions you attended must be sent to Graduate Studies and Continuing Education upon completion of the application.
- Active engagement in classroom teaching is required during program completion.
- Two letters of recommendation and completion of Master of Education in curriculum and instruction or equivalent are required for entry into the principal and supervisory certification programs.
- Six graduate-level credits may be transferred if consistent with our program objectives.
Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and Post-Baccalaureate Certification
Certification candidates who have completed an undergraduate degree at Moravian University or at another institution should arrange to meet with Dr. Tristan Gleason, coordinator of M.A.T. and post-baccalaureate certification programs, for an explanation of the program and an evaluation of their undergraduate transcripts. The following guidelines will be used when developing programs for M.A.T. and post-baccalaureate certification candidates:
- Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, as evidenced by an official transcript.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 overall and 3.0 in the academic major is required for admission to Moravian's teacher certification programs. Post-baccalaureate students are expected to have earned a grade point average of 3.0 in their academic program. Candidates who did not earn a grade point average of 3.0 in their major in undergraduate school will be asked to complete additional courses in that major at Moravian.
- Moravian University's teacher certification programs are field-based to provide as much pre-service teaching experience as possible. All students are required to successfully complete at least one stage 1 & 2 field experience, as well as the stage 3 pre-student teaching experience, prior to being approved for student teaching.
- All applicants are required to obtain a passing score on the Basic Skills Test; either the Pennsylvania Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA) or the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators tests before registering for level 3 education courses.
- All courses required for certification must be completed at Moravian University unless prior approval is obtained from the Education Department advisor or from the major department.
- When an applicant is seeking a secondary (7-12), art (PK-12), music (PK-12), or foreign language (K-12) certificate, the determination of the completion of the major will be made by the appropriate academic department. Applicants may be required to complete any courses included in Moravian University's major which are not on their undergraduate or post-graduate transcripts. An academic department may also require that a minimum number of courses in the major be taken at Moravian University, regardless of the applicant's undergraduate or post-graduate record, and may require that the applicant participates in the teaching or laboratory activities of the department.
- Applicants must provide a minimum of two letters of recommendation from current or past employers, from former instructors, or from others qualified to speak to the candidate's suitability for teaching. The Teacher Education Committee will determine the length and nature of the student teaching experience to be required of post-baccalaureate students who already hold a valid PA Instructional I certificate and who wish to acquire an additional certificate.