Summer Suzuki Workshop @ Moravian
The Summer Suzuki Workshop @ Moravian (SSW@M) is open to Suzuki cello, viola, violin and piano students of all ages, who are currently studying with a Suzuki Method teacher. Students and parents will enjoy an inspiring weekend of making music and learning from outstanding faculty and guest artists.
Dates: June 21 - 23, 2019
Tuition: $200 ($235 after May 17, 2019)
Application Deadline: June 7, 2019 (Register by May 17 for discounted rate)
Chamber Music Program: must register by March 31 to guarantee a spot in a chamber ensemble
Application Procedure: Complete registration form and mail with payment
Final Concert Date: Sunday, June 23, 2019 @ 2:00 pm
New this year: Chamber music program for advanced students, orchestra, expanded pre-twinkle and early childhood programs, optional private lesson on Thursday, June 20th
A parent or guardian is required to attend the entire workshop with each child
- To offer an inspiring and educational summer workshop for Suzuki students of all ages
- To provide students with the opportunity to study with guest artists
- To provide performance opportunities for students
- To provide elective classes and ensembles to encourage musical growth
- To provide parent education classes to support Suzuki parents
- Student Workshop: includes a daily master class, group class (instrument group class, piano duet class, or chamber ensemble), and large ensemble (choir or orchestra) on Friday - Sunday, an elective class and solo recital on Saturday, and final concert on Sunday. Students have the option to add a private lesson on Thursday, June 20 for an additional fee.
- Chamber Music Program: string students in Books 4 +, and piano students in Books 6 + who are enrolled in the workshop may sign up for the chamber music program for an additional fee. Please register by March 31 to guarantee a spot in an ensemble. Music will be assigned and distributed by early April for students to practice. Students will rehearse with their ensemble on Thursday, June 20, and receive daily coaching during the workshop (Fri-Sun), as well as perform in the final concert on Sunday.
- Pre-Twinkle Program: this is a shorter version of the student workshop for young students ages 6 and under who have not yet polished the Twinkle Variations. Classes will be held on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and each day will include a master class, an elective class, and group class. Students will perform in the final concert on Sunday.
- Suzuki Early Childhood Education Classes: Sound Beginnings Class for Birth - Age 3.5, and Pre-Instrument Class for Ages 3.5 - 5. Each class will meet on both Saturday and Sunday mornings, and children and parents will participate in the final concert on Sunday at 2 pm.
- Parent Talks: lectures/ Q&A sessions for Suzuki parents on Saturday
- Accompanying opportunities: are available for advanced piano students and will be assigned by the student’s home teacher.
- Faculty Recital: on Saturday at 4 pm: all are encouraged to attend and be inspired by our outstanding faculty and guest artists!
Student Workshop: Friday, June 21, classes will be scheduled between the hours of 1 - 6 pm, Saturday, June 23, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm; Sunday, June 23, 8:30 am - 3 pm (includes Saturday & Sunday lunches for student and one parent). Final concert on Sunday at 2 pm. Optional private lessons will be scheduled on Thursday, June 20, between the hours of 3 - 8 pm. Individual student schedules will be distributed one week before the workshop so families can plan.
Chamber Music Program: students will be assigned a rehearsal time with their ensemble on Thursday, June 20, between the hours of 3 - 8 pm, and a daily chamber music coaching during the workshop on Friday - Sunday. Each chamber ensemble will perform in the final concert on Sunday at 2 pm.
Pre-Twinkle Program: Saturday, June 22, 8:30 am - 12:30 pm, and Sunday, June 23, 8:30 am - 3:00 pm (includes Sunday lunch for student and parent), and performance in the final concert on Sunday at 2 pm.
Suzuki Early Childhood Education Classes: Sound Beginnings Class for Birth - Age 3.5: Saturday AND Sunday June 22 and 23, at 9:30 - 10:20 am; Pre-Instrument Class for Ages 3.5 - 5: Saturday AND Sunday, June 22 and 23, at 10:30 - 11:20 am. Both classes include the opportunity for children and their parents to participate in the final concert on Sunday at 2 pm.
Registration and Fees
Student Workshop: $200 ($235 after May 17); includes Saturday & Sunday lunches for student and one parent, and student T-shirt
Chamber Music Program: Additional $50 fee; must register by March 31 to guarantee a spot in a chamber ensemble.
Pre-Twinkle Program: $135 ($170 after May 17), includes Sunday lunch for student and one parent, and student T-shirt
Suzuki Early Childhood Education Classes: $40 ($55 after May 17) Each class only has space for 8 children total, so be sure to register early to get a spot!
Suzuki Teacher Observation at Workshop: $20 ($30 after May 17)
How to Register
You can register by mailing the printable registration form to:
Summer Suzuki Workshop @ Moravian College
1200 Main Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018
For more information contact the Music Institute 610-861-1650 (voice), 610-465-8807 (FAX), or email@example.com
A parent is required to attend all classes with their child throughout the duration of the workshop.
- Martha Schrempel, advanced piano (bio)
- Melissa Socci, Workshop Director (bio)
- Joseph Doucette, orchestra, chamber music (bio)
- Rosalie Keddington, violin
- Andrea Kleesattel, cello (bio)
- Rebekah Waggoner, piano (bio)
- Dawn Rockwell, Suzuki early childhood education, piano (bio)
- Joseph Waggoner, voice (bio)
Following the tradition of over 250 years of music in Bethlehem and located in the historic district, THE MORAVIAN COLLEGE MUSIC INSTITUTE encourages the art of music through study and performance at all levels for any student or member of the community. Offerings include private lessons, master classes, group ensembles and Suzuki education.
MCMI offers excellent year round concert programming to suit any musical taste.
For More Information on Music Lessons or MCMI Events, call 610.861.1650 or email firstname.lastname@example.org