Skip to main content


Policy and Procedure 

Where can I find academic policies?

Moravian University maintains the Catalog for all policies related to academics.

What is a course unit?

A course unit is equivalent to 4 credit hours. Most Moravian courses will be described as "units."

How do I register for courses?

Students register, online, via AMOS (student portal) during predetermined registration dates/times. It is the undergraduate students' responsibility to consult their advisor and secure “registration clearance” (granted by the advisor, through AMOS) before registering for courses. 

What if I want to change my schedule after I’ve met with my advisor?

You can make changes through AMOS, but it is recommended that you discuss those changes with your advisor first.

How do I drop a course?

During the first week of each semester, students may change courses, adding or dropping. It is much shorter for accelerated terms and programs. This period is commonly called "Add/Drop" or "Drop/Add." After that point, students cannot add a course but may withdraw from the course with the permission of their advisor and the course instructor. Some circumstances may prevent students from withdrawing. A "W" mark will be recorded for the course. These requests are processed through the Registrar's Office using forms available in Monocacy Hall or in AMOS (College Students tab and Forms in the left-hand nav menu).

How is GPA calculated at Moravian?

For a full explanation, please see the Grades and Quality Points section of the catalog.

What is considered good standing? Probation?

Typically, an overall Grade Point Average of 2.00 or higher is considered good standing. More information about Academic Standing is available in the catalog. Some programs will have specific progression markers for students in the major.


Who is my advisor?

All new students are assigned an academic advisor when they begin their study at Moravian. Students declared in a major will have a major advisor, but advisors are also required for second majors, minors, and special certification programs. Only your primary academic advisor, as listed in AMOS, can provide registration clearance, approve course withdrawals, certify you for graduation, and support other official academic processes.

I'm having a hard time working my advisor. What do I do?

You can contact the Department Chair for your major to identify a new advisor.  The Director of Academic Advising is also available to talk about your concerns, if needed.

What is LinC?

The Learning in Common curriculum is a general education program designed to  provide Moravian students with a broad-based, academically challenging, and intellectually rigorous education in the liberal arts and sciences. All Moravian students complete LinC as part of their education, whether with Moravian courses or through transfer credit.

This brief, one-page guide to LinC requirements may help you navigate course selection.  You will see LinC designations on applicable courses in AMOS when registering. 

What is the Advising Worksheet?

The Advising Worksheet will show you all the requirements of your current major as well as completed and remaining requirements.

How do I access the Advising Worksheet?

Once you log in to AMOS, click on the University Students tab.  Under the “My Course Needs” table, you will see a link for “My Printable Advising Worksheet.”

How do I declare a major or minor?

Students initiate an online request in AMOS, and an advisor is assigned by the department.  The online form is on AMOS under the University Students tab, where you need to click Forms on the left-hand nav menu and then click into the e-Form on the top right.  If you need additional assistance in completing this form, please click on this link for directions.

When do I sign up for classes?

First Year Students will complete a Pre-Registration Survey in AMOS during the summer before they start classes. A Fall schedule is built for each student using the information provided in the survey. Students will review their schedules with their academic advisor over the summer. Classes will include LinC requirements, foundation courses in an intended major, and a seminar course required of all incoming First Year Students.

Can I change my classes for Fall?

You and your academic advisor can work together to make some adjustments to your schedule, but it is important to make sure you stay in four course units and in classes that are prerequisites to other courses you will need in later terms.

Will my advisor be a faculty member in my major?

All First Year Students start their studies "undeclared" in a major, even students who were approved for special programs and certain intended majors. As a result, advisors for First Year Students come from a variety of disciplines and fields. Whenever possible, students are matched to an advisor in a related field or who has knowledge of the curriculum in the intended major.

Can I declare my major now?

First Year Students may declare most majors in their first year, if they have a strong sense of what program they want to focus on. They may not declare a major before classes begin in their first semester. Some majors cannot be declared until prerequisite courses are completed and/or minimum grades are earned. These programs include psychology, nursing, and majors in business and economics.

What transfer credit does Moravian accept?

Credit is granted for courses completed with a grade of C (2.0) or better at an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education. The courses must be the equivalent of courses taught at Moravian or be judged by the University to be consistent with Moravian's curriculum. In some cases, a portfolio review or proficiency test may be required (for example, in art or music) to determine the transferability of a particular course. The final decision on transfer of credits rests with the Office of the Registrar. Questions about transfer credits can be sent to 

Why didn’t all my credits transfer?

If you did not earn a grade of “C” or higher in a course, the credit will not transfer. Credit is not awarded for a “Pass/No Credit” course either.

I already took this course. Why didn’t it transfer?

The course you completed may not have a direct equivalent at Moravian. To appeal the transfer equivalent, contact the Registrar's Office. You may need the course description, syllabus, or other evidence of course content.

Additionally, if after consultation with your advisor, you believe a course you’ve transferred in satisfies a LINC requirement, you may petition the LINC committee. Send a letter to the chair of the committee outlining how that course has met the learning outcome of the requested LINC requirement designation as well as the syllabus from the course itself.

Why aren’t any of the credits from my last semester on my transfer evaluation?

You may need to have a final, official transcript from your prior college sent to Moravian.  Credit is not accepted for courses still in progress at the time the transcript was submitted for evaluation.

How do my transfer credits fit into the LinC requirements?

Students who successfully complete an A.A., A.S. or B.A. or B.S. degree prior to enrolling at Moravian University are exempted from completing Learning in Common, with the exception of a U1 or U2 course, which must be completed in a letter-graded course at Moravian University.  All other transfer students must fulfill the requirements specified in the Learning in Common curriculum.

How do I know what classes I still need to take?

Review the Advising Worksheet closely to see which transfer credits have been accepted and are being applied toward your degree requirements.  You will see your transfer courses in a bright blue color.  It is recommended that you also work closely with your advisor to ensure that you are meeting all the necessary degree requirements.

How do I cross register for ROTC classes?

To register for ROTC classes, please click on this link for directions.

What are the benefits available to me as a veteran or military affiliated student?

Moravian's Office of Veteran and Military Affairs is ready to help you navigate your military education benefits. Please click on this link for information on the most commonly used programs.