Walking Challenge 2018
March 19th - April 29th, 2018
This year Moravian College is hosting the inter-campus Walking Challenge! The competition is between Moravian College students, faculty, and staff.
WHAT: The Walking Challenge is a six (6) week program that begins March 19, 2018 and ends April 29, 2018. The purpose of the Challenge is to promote active lifestyles while in school, at work, and at home! The goal is for each participant to obtain the most steps possible at the end of each week.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE: Sign up via an AMOS form starting on March 12, 2018. Participants may register at any time during the challenge but will only be eligible for a t-shirt and prizes if registered by March 16, 2018.
Beginning March 19, 2018, we ask that you track how many steps you take all day. When you wake up in the morning, put on your pedometer - an app on your phone works just as well! - and at the end of the day, make note of how many steps you took. Each Monday during the challenge you must enter your total weekly steps into our online portal. The portal will track who is participating and how many steps each person takes. Entries submitted after the end of the day (Monday) cannot be tracked.
Serious walkers & 6 weeks of commitment wanted!
WHY: Not only will you be able to show off your Greyhound pride, but all long-standing participants get some great Walking Challenge swag! If you participate for all 6 weeks, you can win some great prizes from local vendors! You don't have to be the "top walker," but we need you to show off those working feet! Prizes will be awarded to committed walkers through a random drawing at the end of the 6 weeks.
Are you a benefits eligible employee? Participating in all six (6) weeks of the Walking Challenge gets you closer to 15 points with our Healthy Lifestyle Rewards program!
WHERE: Wherever your feet take you! You do not have to be on Moravian College's campus for your steps to count. The online portal can be used anywhere where there is internet connection.
TRACKING YOUR STEPS:
- Track steps with a pedometer. Walkers are responsible for purchasing their own pedometers.
Recommended pedometer brand—Pedusa. We have seen other brands at Walmart and 5 Below.
- Track steps with a Fitbit, Apple, GPS, or another similar watch.
- Track steps with a Smartphone app. There are many free apps that can be used to track steps and physical activity.
Recommended apps—Pacer, iSteps Lite, Map My Walk, Pedometer+++, and The Moves.
STAYING SOCIAL: Motivate each other to get moving by using our hashtag #MoravianWalking!
10,000 Steps Goal
Can't fit 30 minutes of strenuous exercise into your day?
Think again! The average American walks between 2,000 to 3,000 steps per day, but is considered to have a sedentary lifestyle.
So the more exercise, the better! Walking 5 miles a day gets you 30 minutes of strenuous exercise... it just so happens that 5 miles is about 10,000 steps! The goal of the Walking Challenge is to gain as many steps as you can at the end of each week. Start your goal lower for the first week and incrementally increase your goal for the following week(s). At the end of six weeks, you will hopefully get to 10,000 steps, or 30 minutes of strenuous exercise, per day!
Don't get discouraged!
A general rule of thumb is that if you increase your activity at all - such as going from 4,000 steps a day to 5,000 - your overall health will be positively impacted. If you already take 50,000 steps per week, don't stop there - try shooting for 55,000!
Looking for more?
- Join us every Wednesday at lunchtime for Walking Wednesdays; rain or shine. We will walk for 1 hour around the sidewalks of our beautiful North Campus. Don't want to walk in the rain? No problem! Meet your walking friends in the ARC and walk around the indoor track!
- April 4th, 2018 is National Walking Day so take part in the day by meeting up with all the rest of the Walking Challenge participants in the afternoon. You do not need to be a Walking Challenge participant to enjoy the day, but if you are a participant and you have made it this far, your Walking Challenge T-shirt awaits you!
- The Blue and Grey 5K will take place on April 15th, 2018 at 9:30am at Moravian College's historic South Campus. Wear your Walking Challenge T-shirt and gather for a group photo with other Walking Challenge participants following the race. All walkers and runners are welcome; you do not need to be a Walking Challenge participant to register. Click here to register and for more details.