Act 153 of 2014 -
State Mandated Background Checks
Beginning 7/1/2015 The College will require ACT 153 checks for Staff working in the following Positions:
- Music Faculty and staff involved with camps and community lessons
- Full-Time Faculty
- Coaches and all staff involved with camps
- Admission Recruiting Staff
- Financial Aid Staff who attend college fairs
- Student Success staff
- Student affairs staff: Campus Police, Counseling Center
Does your position fall in any category above?*
Yes - Regular employees: Review The Process below and carefully follow the instructions.
Volunteers/interns/temporary staff: click here and follow the instructions.
No - Your employment is contigent only upon clear reports on PA Judicial and Social Security searches as required by ALL employees.
*If you do not know whether or not your position falls in a category above, contact Human Resources at (610) 861-1527.
ACT 153 Overview
Beginning January 1, 2015 and in accordance with Pennsylvania state law (ACT 153 of 2014) all Colleges and Universities began complying with certain background clearances on new and current employees. Act 153 has changed the definition of child abuse, expanded the definition of who should report abuse and now includes institutions of higher education in its definition of “school” requiring Moravian College to alter its child abuse reporting and training and expand its background checks.
The new legislation is part of a two-year effort by the state to improve Pennsylvania’s child protection laws. The new law is prompting immediate changes to the College's policies — particularly the institutional background checking process. Under the new law, all school employees who have or may have routine interaction with children are considered mandated reporters of child abuse, even outside of work, if there is an identifiable child. As such, all college employees will be required to submit to the three mandatory clearances listed below every five years. It also includes volunteers who interact routinely with children on campus.
The mandated clearances include:
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History Record Information
- Child Abuse History to determine if the person is named as a perpetrator of an indicated or founded child abuse report; and
- Federal Criminal History Background Check
The College has contracted CBY SYSTEMS INC to process these checks. The cost of the clearances will be covered by the College unless the individual is a volunteer.
You must finish all five (5) steps in order for the ACT 153 mandated checks to be complete.
NOTE: Employees must first wait to be contacted by CBY Systems, Inc.
- 1st Contact: CBY Systems, INC emails the employee to complete a questionnaire and authorize CBY to conduct the background checks. The link in the initial Email is only valid for fourteen (14) days. Completion of the questionnaire starts the process for the PA Criminal Check. Note: Please check the email that you supplied to us on the application for employment at Moravian College. (Contact Moravian College Human Resources at (610) 861-1527 if you do not remember which email you used.)
- 2nd Contact: After 2-5 business days, CBY sends a second email to the employee with a prepaid registration number for the PA Child Abuse Clearance and instructions on how to the complete the Child Abuse check. This email will also include instructions for completing the FBI Fingerprinting. The email will include an attached document that MUST be printed and presented when getting fingerprinted at a COGENT site. NOTE: Please choose the longest option that starts with "Individual 14 years of age or older who is...".
- Child Abuse check: Please follow the instructions given to you in STEP 2.
Completed PA Child Abuse and Criminal Clearances: Upon completion, CBY Systems will provide our office with copies of the completed PA Child Abuse and PA Criminal Clearances. Moravian College suggests that you print these for your records.
- Fingerprint: Please follow the instructions given to you in STEP 2. NOTE: FBI Fingerprinting should be completed through the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, NOT Dept. of Education.
- The FBI Clearance is sent directly to the employee - NOT the College. Upon receipt, employees are instructed to submit the original FBI clearance to the Office of Human Resources. Copies are not acceptable as they are marked as void when photocopied.
FBI Clearance duplicates - The employee must contact the Dept. of Human Services at 877-371-5422 to request a duplicate original of the completed FBI fingerprinting clearance.