Skip to main content
Health & Safety
Health & Safety
Center for Global Education

Health & Safety

It is important to begin thinking about your health and safety while abroad long before your plane takes off.

Protect Your Health

Take a look at the CDC Travelers' Health website to find out about the health risks at your destination. Their Vaccines & Medicines page for each country is broken up into three parts: All Travelers, Most Travelers, and Some Travelers. Moravian College’s Office of International Studies works with the International Travel Clinic at Walgreens on Linden to provide necessary vaccinations for students. Please contact them directly for advice on appropriate vaccinations for your destination and activities during your program. Remember that some travel-related immunizations require up to 6 months advance planning.

If your study abroad program lasts more that a few weeks, you'll want to make sure that you've gotten all your routine health check-ups before your departure. See your family physician for a check up and to arrange for long-term prescriptions for any necessary medications. If you wear glasses, be sure to take an extra pair with you regardless of how long your program lasts.


1. Insurance for Programs Abroad

Who is covered under Moravian’s foreign accident/sickness insurance? 

The following students, faculty, and staff are covered for travel to approved locations under Moravian College's foreign travel accident/sickness insurance through AIG:

  • Students enrolled (credit or audit) in a program abroad: faculty-led, exchange, or through a program provider 
  • SOAR students researching abroad 
  • Students attending an approved conference abroad 
  • Students traveling on approved Moravian College service-learning trips abroad
  • Faculty and staff assigned to a program abroad 
  • Faculty and staff traveling abroad on approved business or research for Moravian College 
  • Athletic team members traveling abroad on an athletic program through Moravian College, and athletic department staff assigned to the program. Parents and others traveling with the team are not covered unless they are registered as official chaperones through the College
  • Spouses of Moravian College employees have up to 50% of the coverage and eligible children of Moravian College employees have up to 10% of the coverage in the policy

All those on a faculty-led study abroad program must either be enrolled in the course for credit or audit, or must have formal approval to teach or assist the course. 

If you are unsure whether you would be covered under Moravian’s foreign travel/sickness insurance, please contact Dr. Anize Appel at or Rachael Lyall, Director of Business and Financial Operations at 

What does Moravian’s foreign accident/sickness insurance cover? 

Moravian’s foreign accident/sickness insurance covers:

  • Some sickness or injury expenses, emergency medical evacuation, eligible emergency family travel, repatriation of remains, accidental death and dismemberment  
  • Coverage areas include anywhere in the world, including international waters or airspace, but exclude the USA (including territories and possessions) and Puerto Rico 
  • Coverage is limited to the start and end dates of the program. Students engaged in additional travel are not covered by this policy for dates before or after the program's official travel dates. Faculty and staff may be covered for additional travel up to 14 days after the official end of the travel abroad program, on a case by case basis. It is the responsibility of faculty and staff to confirm coverage and provide travel information to the Center for Global Education and the Business Office. 
  • Other applicable items on an individual case by case level

Moravian College also has automobile coverage (for course leaders/faculty/staff only) for vehicles used for the purposes of the educational trip itinerary (both rented and hired services).

Are there coverage exclusions? 

Yes. Moravian’s foreign accident/sickness insurance does not cover the following:

  • Routine health care (i.e. doctor’s visits, prescription refills, etc.)
  • Injuries or incidents related to alcohol and/or drug use/abuse
  • Mental health related issues, including suicide attempts
  • Participation in skydiving/parachuting, hang gliding, bungee jumping, scuba diving, mountain climbing, pot-holing, zip-lining or while riding on a motorcycle
  • Any incidents before or after the program beginning and end dates 
  • There may be limited coverage for pre-existing conditions 
  • Other

Who can I contact to learn more about Moravian’s insurance coverage for my off-campus program? 

Please contact Dr. Anize Appel at, or Rachael Lyall, Director of Business and Financial Operations at 

2. Insurance for programs in the USA

Does Moravian have insurance for domestic programs and domestic travel? 

Yes, Moravian College has insurance that applies to non-medical issues that may arise during off-campus domestic programs. 

Do I need to have my insurance information with me when I travel on my domestic program? 

Yes, for all medical related issues on domestic travel, student’s own health insurance will serve as primary coverage. Students are responsible for understanding their health insurance policy and ensuring it is adequate for their needs. 

3. Travel Insurance 

What is travel insurance, and how is it different from the insurance Moravian provides? 

Travel insurance is a type of insurance that can provide coverage for additional potential expenses not covered by Moravian’s insurance. For example, some travel insurance packages may provide coverage for:

  • Lost or stolen luggage
  • Medical Related Issue preventing one from going on the program (potential financial protection based on plan purchased)
  • Weather delays or other trip disruption
  • Death of immediate family member
  • Other trip delay, interruption, etc.
  • Additional medical coverage

In other words, travel insurance can provide an extra layer of protection in case something happens before or during the travel course. 

Does Moravian recommend that students, faculty, and staff purchase travel insurance? 

Yes, Moravian College recommends that students, faculty, and staff purchase travel insurance for off-campus travel. It is always a good idea to ensure you are properly covered while traveling. If you feel your insurance policy will not be adequate for your needs while away, you may purchase additional coverage. This optional coverage can cover unplanned circumstances surrounding your trip. Each plan is different in terms of coverage and the limitations, so these are to be purchased at your own discretion. 

Does Moravian require that students faculty, and staff purchase travel insurance? 

No, travel insurance is not required for off-campus travel. Travel insurance provides extra protection but is optional. 

Does Moravian have a list of recommended travel insurance providers? 

Students, faculty, and staff may purchase travel insurance from any provider they choose. Below are a few different options - there are many more available to choose from and we do not suggest one over another: 

Each travel insurance policy is different, and it is the responsibility of the student, faculty, or staff purchasing the insurance to ensure it is adequate for their needs.  All claims filed under an optional travel insurance plan are the sole responsibility of the traveler.  Moravian College will not be responsible for assisting individual travelers with this claim process.  

Think About Your Safety

Before  your departure date, you will need to register with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). By enrolling in STEP you will: receive important information from the embassy in your destination country about safety conditions there; allow the embassy to contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency; and enable family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency. STEP also has a free app (for iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch).