Master of Arts in Teaching
Turn your passion into your profession
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program from Moravian University is a personalized opportunity to truly hone your teaching skills while earning the degree you need right now. The masters-only program is ideal for those currently teaching in a private school, college or non-traditional setting who require additional training but no certification. If teaching in a Pennsylvania public school is your dream, the MAT seamlessly combines with our PA Teacher Certification so you can fast-track your goals and finally do what you love.
Pursue initial licensure and earn a graduate degree through our innovative inquiry-based Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) program or choose to earn a graduate degree in education without certification to meet your own professional goals and objectives.
PA Teacher Certification Programs
- Early childhood
- Middle level
- Reading Specialist
- Social Studies
Candidates for the M.A.T. degree must complete a minimum of 36 credits with a cumulative Quality Point Average of at least 3.0 with no more than three letter grades less than B-. Candidates for initial teacher certification must meet all additional Pennsylvania Department of Education Certification Requirements, including the appropriate Praxis Series examinations.
All certification candidates are required to submit annually the FBI Federal Criminal History Record, PA State Police Criminal Record Check, and PA Child Abuse History clearance, all which clearly state "NO RECORD EXISTS."
Foundations of Teacher Action Research
- The Teacher as Inquirer (EDUC 500)
- The Teacher as Researcher (EDUC 506)
- The Teacher as Evaluator (EDUC 508)
- Choose four elective courses tailored to your professional development needs, or
- Pursue PA Teacher Certification course requirements
Action Research Preparation & Defense
- Curriculum Development and Action Research (EDUC 700)
- Writing a Review of Educational Research (EDUC 701)
- Reflective Practice Seminar (EDUC 702)
- Action Research Thesis (EDUC 704-705)