Faculty and advisor Resources
Early Alert. Retention Analytics. Advising Tools.
Welcome To Momentum!
Momentum gives you a convenient way to keep track of your students – raising flags when you observe a pattern of behavior that concerns you to ensure that the people on campus who can intervene are aware. It also allows your students to easily book an appointment with you or someone else who can help. Momentum will automatically display all students that you have been assigned or are enrolled in your courses. Getting started is easy!
You can easily access Momentum in 1 of 4 ways:
- Enter momentum.moravian.edu into your web browser.
- Click on the Momentum button located in Canvas.
- Click on the Momentum button located in Okta.
- Click on the Momentum logo at the top of this page.
BEST PRACTICE NOTE
Raising an Alert Flag or making a Referral should be an action step in the process of identifying and intervening a potential roadblock to students’ academic success.
A direct conversation, either in person or through email (or other electronic means) should always be a part of the process. Your communication should also be documented as a Note in the students file in Momentum.
With Momentum, faculty and advisors can…..
- Comment on flags to provide a ‘big picture’ look. Click here for more information on raising, clearing, and commenting on flags.
- Post office hours and schedule appointments with students – all synced to your Google calendar.
- Raise academic flags to provide feedback to students about missing work, attendance issues, showing improvement, or doing well.
- Refer students to academic services on campus.
- Keep notes about your advisees. Keeping notes on each advising appointment enables you to continue the conversation with students when they meet with you again or if questions ever arise regarding what was discussed in an appointment. Access the student in Momentum, and you will see a "Notes" tab at the top of the page. Select "Advising Notes" and give the note a name. It might just be "Advising and the date."Notes default to shared and give you the option to select the type of note you want it to be. Each type clearly identifies who can see the note. Selecting “Private” means the note can only be seen by you, the writer of the note.
Use Momentum to…..
- Inform. Momentum provides a quick and convenient way to reach multiple people within a students' network in order to provide information and updates. It can tell you at glance which advisee may be facing challenges.
- Facilitate. Gives you the information you need to start a conversation with advisees about their challenges and barriers.
- Support. Allows for information to flow in a way that will better support student success.
How can I support my flagged advisees?
You are the first line of defense! Reach out to the student however you feel is best to chat about the flag and how to handle it. Make sure to check back with the advisee to confirm follow through and update the flag with any comments. Challenged by what to do next? You can always reach out to the Student Success Team by emailing email@example.com.
Explore more in the links below!
- Faculty and Staff: Getting Started
- Setting up Profile, Syncing Google Calendar, Appointment and Email Preferences
- Setting up/Adding Office hours and Syncing with Google Calendar
- Raising Flags and Kudos (includes links to emails sent to students when flags are raised)
- Five Minutes to Learn about Faculty Features in Momentum
- Five Minutes to Learn about Momentum
Additional questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org! We’re always happy to hear from you!