Kin Cheung 張健
Assistant Professor of Asian Religions
Office: Comenius 108B
Ph.D., Religion, Temple University
M.A., Religion, Temple University
B.A., Philosophy, New York University
Chinese Buddhism (Chan and Huayan), Chinese Philosophical-Religious Traditions (Confucianism, Daoism), Japanese Buddhism (Zen), Buddhist Ethics, Buddhism and Science, Contemporary Buddhism (Buddhism and health, Buddhist involvement in economics and capitalism)
REL 262 Religion and Capitalism, Spring 2018
REL 127 Healing, Health and Medicine in Asian Contexts, Spring 2018, Fall 2017, Spring 2017
REL 128 Asian Traditions through Film, Fall 2017, Spring 2017
REL 221 Buddhism and Mindfulness, Fall 2016
REL 123 Religions of India: Hinduism and Buddhism, Spring 2018, Spring 2017
REL 124 Religious Thought of China and Japan, Fall 2017, Fall 2016
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- 2015 “Ethical Implications of Upāya-Kauśalya: Helping Without Imposing.” The Journal of Buddhist Ethics 22 (2015): 371-399.
- Under contract. “A Contemporary Chinese-American Healer.” In Buddhism & Medicine: An Anthology Volume 2: Modern and Contemporary Voices, edited by C. Pierce Salguero (volume under contract with Columbia University Press).
- 2018 “Implicit and Explicit Ethics in Mindfulness-Based Programs in a Broader Context.” In Handbook of Ethical Foundations of Mindfulness, edited by Steven Stanley, Ronald E. Purser, and Nirbhay N. Singh, 305-321. Springer International Publishing 2018.
- 2016 “명상연구의주제이동: 전문가에게서 초보자에게로 [The Shift in Meditation Research Subjects from Experts to Novices].” In 명상과치유 [Meditation and Healing], edited by Nae Chang Han, The Institute of Mind Humanities Series 13, 235-253. Iskan, South Korea: Wonkwang University Press 2016.
- 2018 Cheung, Kin. "Human Agency in Buddhism and Science." Special Issue on Religion and Science, Religious Studies Review 44, no. 4 (2018): 395-401.
- 2016 Cheung Kin, Valerio A., Kunu, V., Bingenheimer, M. “Chinese Religion(s): A Survey of Textbooks.” Studies in Chinese Religions 2, no. 3 (2016): 315-328.
Conferences, Seminars, and Invited Talks (*=Invited)
- 2018 “Buddhist Institutions, Initial Public Offering Plans, and Tourism Company Listings in China’s Stock Market” To be presented at the American Academy of Religion Annual National Meeting, Denver, CO, November
- *2018 TBD, To be presented at the National Consortium for Teaching About Asia, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, November
- *2018 “A Contemporary Chinese-American Community Healer” To be presented at The Comparison Project: Miracles, Drake University, Des Moines, IA, October
- *2018 “Buddhists and the Trolley Problem: Implications for AI Ethics” Presented at the YHouse Consciousness Club, New York, NY, September
- *2018 “Meditation and Brain Science” Panelist at the Second Annual Woodenfish Forum: Buddhism, Science, and the Future, Shenzhen, China, June
- *2018 “Buddhist Perspectives on Robot Ethics and Machine Ethics” Presented at the Second Annual Woodenfish Forum: Buddhism, Science, and the Future, Shenzhen, China, June
- *2018 “Contemporary Developments of Buddhism in China and Japan” Presented at the East Asia Update: Trends in Politics, Education and Popular Culture Seminar, National Consortium for Teaching About Asia, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, April
- 2018 “Mindful Consumption? Buddhist Material and Religious Capital: A Response to Pamela Winfield and Steven Heine eds. Zen and Material Culture (Oxford University Press 2017)” Presented at the 26th Annual ASIANetwork Conference, Philadelphia, PA, April
- 2018 “A Mindfulness for Educator’s Retreat: Teaching How to Teach” Presented at the 26th Annual ASIANetwork Conference, Philadelphia, PA, April
- *2018 “Buddhist Theories of Truth, Truth-Telling, and Lies” Presented at the Columbia University Comparative Philosophy Seminar, Columbia University, New York, NY, March
- *2018 “Acupuncture, Paradigm Shifts, and Placebos” Presented at the Asian Studies Lecture Series, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, February
- *2017 “Buddhist Perspectives on Ethical Issues in Artificial Intelligence” Presented at the Buddhism and the Fourth Industrial Revolution International Conference organized by The Korean Association for Buddhist Studies 한국불교학회, Dongguk University 동국대학교, Seoul, South Korea, December
- 2017 “Healing and Religion in a Contemporary Chinese-American Community” Presented at the “This Land Is Our Land”: Chinese Pluralities Through the Americas, An International Conference of the Chinese Historical Society of America, San Francisco, CA, October
- *2017 “Right Speech in the Abhaya Sutra and Skillful Speech in the Lotus Sutra”, Presented at the International Lotus Sutra Seminar 法華経国際会議, Rissho Kosei-kai 立正佼成会 International Headquarters, Tokyo, Japan, June
- 2017 “Buddhism and Healing: Contemporary Experiences and Reflections 佛教與 治療：當代經驗與思 考” Presented a bilingual interactive workshop at the 15th Śākyadhitā International Conference on Buddhist Women 第十五屆善 女人佛教女性國際會議, University of Hong Kong 香港大學, Hong Kong, June
- 2017 “What Does It Mean To Own Stock In A Famous Buddhist Mountain Tourism Company?” Presented at the “Buddhism and Business, Market and Merit: Intersections between Buddhism and Economics Past and Present” International Conference, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, June