The Humanities Fellowship
Moravian University’s Humanities Fellowship supports the talents and interests of students who have passion for both the humanities and social justice, and who wish to make this central to their college experience.
Fellows receive special advising, participate in specialized HF-designed courses, create educational “maps,” and serve as part of a cohort of up to 12 students who will collaborate in unique projects, courses, travel experiences, service learning, and activism.
Fellows are also supported in discerning, planning, and implementing the process of moving from their four-year education to employment/graduate school or other post-college opportunities.
Humanities Fellows must meet the following standards to remain in the program after acceptance:
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- Successful participation in the fall humanities seminar
- Good academic standing in a humanities program
- Engaged participation in all Fellowships activities and requirements
Merit scholarships will be awarded through the admissions process and will range from $18,000 to $28,000. Through the Humanities Fellowship, students can be awarded up to an additional $5,000 on top of their merit scholarship. Factors to be considered will be the applicant’s academic background, presentation, demonstrated interest, and financial need.
How to Apply
We’re excited to learn more about your interest in and passion for the humanities! Your submission will show your passion for one or more of the humanities (English, Global Religions, History, Modern Languages, Philosophy); and/or additional multidisciplinary programs with strong anchors in the humanities (Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Peace and Justice Studies, Africana Studies, Medieval Studies).
Here are the steps you should take to apply:
- Choose a question or issue of concern to you, your community, and/or the world. (Think about topics linked to Moravian's InFocus Challenge Areas: sustainability and climate change, poverty, inequality and racial justice, health and healthcare, war and peacebuilding.)
- Choose a creative medium:
- An essay, poem(s), other work of writing you have composed
- A short film (or selection from a longer film) you have created
- A Powerpoint or Prezzi that showcases your advocacy, exploration, or service
- A podcast, blog, or other form of communication that shows how you are mobilizing passion in the humanities with concern, advocacy, and action
- Make up your own format—we’re open!
- Create a project that covers your question/concern and showcases your passion for one or more of the humanities! Please feel free to draw on academic work, creative work, and/or efforts you have expended in your community.
- Fill out the application and attach your submission.
If selected, you’ll be asked to prepare a 15-minute presentation to make to a small group of Moravian humanities faculty and students. You’ll receive more information about this part later!
Nominations from Counselors, Teachers, and Community Leaders
Secondary school counselors, teachers, and community leaders are welcome and encouraged to nominate high school seniors who they believe will be a good fit for HF. Please complete the HF Nomination Form. The nominee will receive an email notification with instructions on how to submit their application. Questions should be directed to Christina DeJesus, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-625-7854.