Admissions & Costs
The Master of Fine Arts in Performance Creation is for artists who want to create their own performances, rather than playing a supporting role in someone else’s vision. This program is not just a means to a graduate degree, it’s an incubator for your artistic vision. We want the person for whom traditional definitions are not enough.
Who should apply?
- Recent college graduates with degrees in Theatre or related performance fields
- Young artists looking to hone their artistic voice
- Professional artists seeking a degree to validate their professional work
- Artists in need of a degree to pursue teaching or other job opportunities
- Performance-makers interested in social engagement and community empowerment
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above (exceptions to be made on case-by-case basis), and the completion of an appropriate undergraduate program or the equivalent
- A letter of application
- 2 letters of recommendation
- All Official Transcripts
- Evaluation of Creative, Scholarly, or Professional Work. Demonstration of prior achievement in terms of their readiness to undertake graduate studies in their major field
- Proof of a self-directed body of work
- For Performers, a live audition
- For Designers, Directors, Choreographers, Composers, etc., a portfolio of work appropriate to your discipline (preferably digital)
- Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Clearance with fingerprinting (students must be permitted to enter Pennsylvania classrooms, non-negotiable)
- Basic Language Competencies: students must demonstrate sufficient knowledge and skill in English to pursue the required studies.
The MFA in Performance Creation costs $20,000 per year. Students enroll for the entire program rather than for individual courses. Tuition covers student projects/productions, air travel to an international festival, registration costs and admission to festival events. Yearly tuition does not cover room, board, or books.