Dr. Carol J. Moeller
Associate Professor of Philosophy
Telephone: 610 861-7881
Location: Comenius Room 110
B.A., Oberlin College
M.A., Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh
Areas of Research and/or Expertise
Ethics, Philosophy of Gender, Race, and Disabilities, and Cultural Studies
- “'We Are Not Disposable’: ‘Psychiatric’/Psycho-Social Disabilities and Social Justice,” Simon Smith and James Beauregard, In the Sphere of the Personal: New Perspectives in the Philosophy of Persons, ed., Vernon Press, forthcoming, 2016. (Note: this essay is a substantially expanded version of the plenary paper listed below.)
- “Humans All: Changing the Frame on People with Intellectual Disabilities,” Disability Studies Quarterly, Volume 32, Number 2, Winter 2012.
- “Minoritized Thought: Open Questions of Latino/a and Latin-American Identities,” American Philosophical Association, Newsletter on Hispanic/Latino Issues in Philosophy, Spring 2009.
- “Interdisciplinarity and Challenges to Received Traditions,” Proceedings of Moravian College Learning in Common Faculty Workshop, (in house publication), May 2006.
- “Thoughts on Academic Rigor and Pedagogy,” Proceedings of Moravian College Learning in Common Faculty Workshop, (in house publication), May 2005.
- “Moral Responsiveness in Pediatric Research Ethics,” The American Journal of Bioethics, Fall 2003, Volume 3, Number 4, W1-W3.
- “Marginalized Voices: Challenging Dominant Privilege in Higher Education,” in Theorizing Backlash: Philosophical Reflections on the Backlash Against Feminism, edited by Ann Cudd and Anita Supersons, 2002, Book Series: Studies in Social, Political, and Legal Philosophy, Series edited by James P. Sterba, Rowman and Littlefield.
- “Realism and Identity: Rethinking the Categories of our Lives,” Cultural Logic, Volume 4, Number 2, Spring 2001). (available online at http://clogic.eserver.org/4-2/moeller.html)
- “Reframing Family Values: Leigh Kane’s Next of Kin Projects,” Invited program essay for Temple University Gallery, Tyler School of Art, Philadelphia, PA, June 2 – August 5, 2000.
- "Transforming 'The Master's Tools': Teaching and Studying Philosophy in Graduate School," inDegrees of Freedom, Beth Mintz and Esther Rothblum (editors), Routledge, 1997.
- 120 Introduction to Philosophy
- 222 Ethics
- 247 Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Philosophy
- 255 Social and Political Philosophy
- 257 Bio-Ethics and Social Justice
- 265 Feminist Philosophy
- 267 West African Philosophy: Akan Ethics
- 271 Race, Gender, Identity, and Moral Knowledge
- 323 Tibetan Buddhist Thought
- Hip Hop, Spoken Word, and Philosophy
- Philosophy and Film