Programs of Study
English Studies is one of the cornerstones of a liberal arts education and offers a variety of approaches to specialized study. The English Major helps launch the careers of writers, critics, lawyers, reporters, archivists, speech writers, editors, teachers, publishers, and researchers. Students interested in English studies can also pursue Writing Arts Concentration, a Minor in English, or Teacher Certification in English.
Please view the Moravian University Course Catalog for a full list of English courses.
The Major in English
The English major consists of ten courses: a five-course core, four major electives, and a capstone experience. English majors are encouraged to supplement required and elective courses for the major with elective courses from other disciplines, minors that are complementary to English Studies, and related courses from the Learning in Common curriculum, as well as co-curricular involvement in theatre, The Comenian, The Manuscript, and other relevant opportunities.
5 Core Courses
- ENGL 225: Introduction to English Studies
- One additional writing course:
- ENGL 211: Creative Nonfiction
- ENGL 212: Creative Writing
- ENGL 217: Intro to Writing Arts
- Two literary period courses, including one pre-20th Century
- One literary genre course
- ENGL courses at the 200-level or above
- ENGL 371: Senior Seminar
- Students must take at least three courses at the 300-level.
- All students complete a Hands-on Learning Assignment (HLA) prior to taking ENGL 371: Senior Seminar
- Internships (ENGL 375-377) and study abroad are strongly encouraged for all majors. Consult with your advisor to discuss internship possibilities and with the Office of International Studies to learn about study abroad opportunities.
- First-Year Writing Seminar, Writing 100, and the general literature courses (English 101, 102, 103, 104, and 105) may not be used to satisfy requirements for the major, minor, or interdepartmental major programs of the English Department. The general literature course restriction, however, does not apply to Early Childhood, Middle Level, and Secondary English majors.
- ***Teacher certification students follow modified versions of the requirements listed above. Refer to the Teacher Certification in English section for more details.***
Writing Arts Concentration
Studying Writing Arts at Moravian University gives you the rich learning experience of the English major with an added emphasis allowing you to explore the endless possibilities of written communication within our dynamic, increasingly globalized world. Through a variety of courses in academic, creative, and professional writing emphasizing both traditional print and evolving digital genres—from analytical essays to technical instructions; from news articles to short stories, poetry, creative nonfiction, and plays; from grant proposals to blogs, vlogs, and podcasts—students learn to become flexible, adaptable writers, ready to bring advanced writing, reading, and critical thinking skills to their personal and professional lives.
Writing Arts Concentration students take the five English Major core courses and ENGL 371: Senior Seminar. To these six courses, Writing Arts Certification students are required to add the following:
- ENGL 216: Professional Writing, ENGL 218: Digital Rhetoric and Writing, or ENGL 224: Introduction to Journalism
- English Internship (Prerequisite: ENGL 216, 218, or 224)
- Four additional writing courses, two of which must be at the 300-level
Majoring in Something Else But Still Want to Experience Writing Arts?
Some Writing Arts courses are open to all Moravian University students as electives, and these courses are great supplements to the writing-intensive courses offered in other majors. The English Department regularly offers the following Writing Arts courses:
- Intro to Creative Writing (M6)
- Creative Nonfiction
- Environmental Writing
- Writing and/as Activism (U2)
- Digital Rhetoric and Writing
- Rhetorics of Everyday Life
- Introduction to Journalism
- Professional Writing
Special topics courses like Fantasy Writing and Young Adult Fiction Writing are also taught from time to time.
The Minor in English
The minor in English consists of five courses: ENGL 225; ENGL 211, 212, or 217; one literature course (200- or 300-level); and two electives (200- or 300-level)
Teacher Certification in English
Moravian University offers the following certification tracks for English: