Policies aND Procedures
Residence Hall Room Contract
Each student to acknowledge a housing agreement or their parent/guardian if under 18 at the time of arrival. The policies outlined in the residence hall room contract are binding.
The residence hall room contract outlines that housing assignments are made for the full academic year, except for students who are graduating at mid-year, spending time abroad or at a College-approved program off campus, changing to part-time status, withdrawing, or other extenuating circumstances as approved by the Office of Housing & Event Management. Resident students who withdraw from the College during the course of a term will forfeit any remaining room rent for that term. Board refunds will be granted in accordance with the College's overall refund policy. Resident students who are removed from the halls by conduct action also receive no refund, except for a pro-rated board refund, unless required by federal, state, or other regulation.
When students move into their room, its condition becomes the responsibility of the occupants. At the end of the year, residents are expected to leave the room in the condition received, with the exception of normal wear and tear. Those assigned to a room will be held responsible for all costs of returning the room to its original condition, including the repair of damage and anything deemed extraordinary wear and tear. Abuse of the living space may be grounds for removal from residence or other conduct action.
The College reserves the right to change room assignments at any point.
First-Year Gender Inclusive Housing Policy
Moravian College offers gender-inclusive housing for first-year students living in traditional residence halls. These communities are co-educational residential spaces in which residents of any combination gender identities or gender expressions may choose to live.
Gender inclusive housing may be of interest to:
- Members of the LGBTQ+ community, and allies
- Students who are exploring their gender identity
- Students who are gender non-conforming
- Students who feel more comfortable with a roommate of a different gender identity
Gender-inclusive housing is not intended for romantic couples, but rather for students seeking to live in an open and inclusive community in the first-year area.
- Students in gender-inclusive housing must be first-year full-time undergraduate students.
First-Year Gender Inclusive Residential Facility
- Moravian College offers gender-inclusive housing in a traditional style residence hall(s).
- This community is unique in that students share double bedrooms and a community bathroom.
- The communal restroom is designated as gender-inclusive. There are single-sex bathrooms on the surrounding floors in the event that members of the community opt to use those spaces.
- The Resident Advisor in the Gender Inclusive community is SafeZone trained, allowing for their room to be a safe space for residents to meet with and discuss their concerns.
Assignment & Roommate Selection Process
- Incoming first-year students can confidentially express their desire to live in a gender inclusive community on the Student Life Questionnaire.
- First-year students may request a roommate by indicating the name of the resident in the roommate preference section of the Student Life Questionnaire. In order for the request to be honored, both parties must indicate one another as preferred roommates on the Student Life Questionnaire and indicate interest in living in gender inclusive housing.
- Students who indicate interest in gender inclusive housing may be contacted by a professional staff member within Student Affairs, in order to confirm interest and roommate preferences, before being assigned.
- Students assigned to the gender-inclusive community will be notified by email in July.
Room Changes & Vacancies
- When there is a vacancy in a gender-inclusive double, the student remaining in the room may elect to pull-in a new roommate.
- If the resident cannot identify a new roommate, the Office of Housing & Event Management will try to identify a student interested in gender inclusive housing. Both students must agree to live together.
- Issues relating to room reassignments and vacancies will follow the procedure set forth by the Office of Housing & Event Management.
Upperclass Co-Educational & Gender Inclusive Housing Options
Returning residents interested in creating gender inclusive communities may elect to live as groups in co-educational units in the HILL, Hillsides, and Overflow housing.
If a group of students want their space to be gender inclusive, they should contact the Office of Housing & Event Management prior to Move Week each semester.
Single Sex Residential Options
Moravian College offers housing options for students seeking same sex communities. While these areas are designated as single sex, residents are welcome to host guests of varying gender and sexual identities.
Female: Main Hall
Female: Main Hall & Jo Smith
It is our expectation that students who choose to live in all communities on Moravian’s campus, are respectful and understand the purpose of their space. The College established conduct standards relating to abusive, threatening, intimidating, or harassing actions (including, but not limited to, those based on race, religion, gender, disability, age, economic status, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression) and sexual misconduct. All students are held accountable to these expectations, as outlined in the Student Handbook.
Housing & Meal Plan Medical Accommodations
Students seeking support with housing and/or meal plan options due to a disability are instructed to contact the Academic & Accessibility Support Center.
Housing Status & Meal Plan Appeals
- A student and/or guardian who signs the Residence Hall Room Contract, is obligated to be a resident and is expected to participate in a College meal plan for the full academic year. Exceptions to these contractual obligations may be granted for extenuating medical, financial, or lifestyle reasons. Students requesting an appeal should complete the Housing Status & Meal Plan Appeal Request Form.
- For medical requests, contact the Academic & Accessibility Support Center.
- Students seeking to become an on-campus resident after the start of the semester should email firstname.lastname@example.org. Students may be offered the opportunity to move on campus, space permitting.
Room Change Request
No room changes are permitted during the first 2 weeks of each semester. The College offer opportunities for students to change rooms after the first 2 weeks of the semester. More information about Pull-In & Move Weeks are sent directly to students via email.
Students seeking a room change outside of that those times should email email@example.com.
Service, Support, & Assistance Animal Policy for Residential Students
Moravian College is committed to complying with federal, state and local laws regarding individuals with disabilities. In that regard, Moravian College will support those students with disabilities who require the assistance of a service, support or assistance animal. Requests for more information about this policy should be directed to the Academic & Accessibility Support Center.
Substance Free Housing
Certain residential areas may be designated as substance-free housing. This housing option offers residents a living environment without the presence of alcohol or other drugs, to ensure an environment in which students can actively participate in a healthy lifestyle and activities that support wellness. This option prohibits the use of alcohol in the residential area regardless of legal age. In addition, residents who live in these residential areas make an agreement not to return to the community intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
Residents requesting to live in substance-free housing agree to abide by the rights and responsibilities of the community. Substance-free housing is dependent on sufficient interest to fill spaces in the designated residential area. Residents interested in further exploring substance-free housing should contact the Office of Housing & Event Management prior to the start of the fall term.