Skip to main content
International students outside Comenius Hall

Applying as an International Student

First-year International students are required to submit the following:

  • Moravian College online application (links above) or the Common Application (you may submit an online application free of charge)
  • Official secondary school academic records (original and certified translation)
  • Official Test Scores (SAT or ACT). The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS is required of all freshmen applicants if English is not their native language. Requirement my be waived for transfer students contingent on college or university transcripts. Moravian College does not offer an ESL program.
  • Affidavit of Support
  • Certified letters and bank statements or letter guaranteeing the funds indicated on the Certification of Finances
  • Letter of recommendation from guidance counselor
  • Personal statement or essay

Scholarships for International Students

Moravian College offers an International Student Merit Award based primarily on academic achievement: grades, the strength of your academic program, your TOEFL or IELTS scores, and your SAT scores if submitted.

Please contact the Director of International Admission for more information regarding the International Student Merit Award.

What is the application process?

Please review the information on the How to Apply and academic department websites for specific application requirements.

Once my application is received, how long before I hear from Moravian College?

The response time, once your completed application is received by the appropriate office at Moravian College, is typically two weeks. Please be aware that an incomplete application will delay the response time.

What does a completed application consist of?

A completed application is distinct for undergraduate, graduate, and transfer international students. Go to the How to Apply website to find application requirements for your application type. There are checklists for each application type.

What is considered an official transcript?

Transcripts are accepted for admission under the following conditions:

  • Official, original language transcript with official English language translation
  • Official transcript in English, if issued directly by the school
  • Certified copy of original language transcript sent with official English translation (if applicable) and signed by one of the following: (a) Administrator of the student's school, (b) U.S. Embassy official, (c) Ministry of Education official, (d) U.S. Overseas Advising Office staff member, or (e) Notary Public

Undergraduate students must submit official, certified copies of all academic records from high school or secondary schools. All records should include an official school signature and stamp on the document. Transcripts that have been scanned, faxed or photocopied and sent without official signatures will NOT be accepted.

What financial documents are needed for the application process?

The financial documents required for the application process include the Certification of Finances Form, Certified letters and bank statements and the International Student Financial Aid Application, which must be completed in its entirety and solely in English and by all persons (sponsors) financially supporting the student, and three consecutive months of bank statements. The bank statements must be in the sponsor's name and include the date the account was opened, the current balance in U.S. dollars, average deposits and average balances. Other acceptable evidence of financial support includes: bank loans for educational purposes, scholarship letters, investment statements indicating liquid assets, and/or government funding.

May I apply online?

International students may apply online. Please note that students who apply online must use a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express) to pay the application fee.

May I transfer university credit?

International students who have university credit from institutions outside the United States may transfer credit to Moravian College, so long as all of the courses for which they wish to receive transfer credit are evaluated by World Education Services (WES). Students must request a course-by-course evaluation from WES. Credit will not be given unless a WES evaluation has been completed.

International students with university credit from institutions within the United States who wish to transfer to Moravian College also need to submit a WES course-by-course evaluation, and submit a SEVIS Transfer Release Form. This form must be completed by the current immigration advisor at the school from which you wish to transfer and submitted to International Admission at Moravian College. Please note that your new Form I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students) cannot be issued by Moravian College until the release form is received.

How can I check the status of my application?

When you apply you will receive a login.

Does Moravian College accept the British system of coursework (i.e., O-, AS- and A-level)?

O-, AS-, and A-level coursework. In some cases, the coursework may be deemed equivalent to the completion of a secondary-level program (i.e. high school diploma). This is determined on a case-by-case review of grades in the coursework.

May I receive university credit for A-level coursework?

International students may receive university credit for A-level coursework depending on their final grades in those courses. In order to receive credit, however, students must submit a course-by-course evaluation by World Education Service (WES). This evaluation should be mailed to the Office of International Admission. The number of credits awarded is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Must I hold an F-1 visa to study at Moravian College?

No. International students may also hold other visa types (i.e. J-1, L-2, etc.), however, international students who are not on an F-1 visa may not be eligible for various F-1 benefits such as campus employment and practical training. Students are encouraged to research the various types of student visas available to them. If you have any questions about whether you may study at Moravian College, please contact Robyn Apgar.

I am currently in the U.S. and hold a non-student visa; may I still study at Moravian College?

Students who hold a non-student visa may apply for admission to Moravian College, however, students must meet all academic requirements and be accepted to Moravian College before they can apply for a change of status to a student visa (i.e. F-1 or J-1). Certain non-student visa holders, such as B-1, B-2 visitors and F-2 (unless a minor) applying for F-1 status may not begin their program of study until the change of status has been approved by USCIS.

How do I apply for a change of status?

Accepted students on a non-student visa may apply for a change of status to a student visa (i.e. F-1 or J-1). In this case, the following documents must be submitted to the assigned USCIS Service Center:

  • Completed Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status - please review instructions
  • Form I-539 Filing Fee - check or money order made payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security"
  • Original Form I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students), issued by the Office of International Admissions
  • Proof of payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee - this cannot be paid until the Form I-20 has been issued
  • Original I-94 Card
  • Copies of passport ID pages, visa, and other current immigration status documents
  • Copies of financial support documents
  • Letter explaining why you are requesting the change of status

Please note that the following visa holders may not apply for a change of status within the United States: M-1, C, D, or K non-immigrants, J non-immigrants subject to the 212(e) two-year foreign residency requirement, and WT and WB visitors admitted under the visa waiver program.

If I do not have a visa, may I still study at Moravian College?

Yes. Moravian College will not deny admission to the university so long as the student meets general admissions requirements.

If I hold a green card, should I still apply through the Office of International Admission?

No. International students who hold a green card are considered permanent residents and thus should apply through the regular application process.

Are there other international students attending Moravian College? Where are they from?

Yes. Our international student community is continually growing and right now consist of around 100 students.

What is the weather like in Bethlehem, PA?

When you arrive in August, you'll likely experience temperatures ranging anywhere from 70-90 degrees Fahrenheit (21-32 degrees Celsius). In these temperatures, light weight clothing is suggested for your comfort. As the semester continues, heavier clothing may become necessary. In November and December, temperatures can drop to 17-40 degrees Fahrenheit (-8-4 degrees Celsius) and are typically accompanied by snow and ice, therefore a heavy overcoat, gloves and scarves are highly recommended. These temperatures generally last until February. Once springtime approaches in March, temperatures begin to rise again to about 45-60 degrees Fahrenheit (7-15 degrees Celsius) and are often accompanied by rain, so a raincoat and umbrella are also a good idea. These temperatures can last throughout the remainder of the spring semester.

Robyn Apgar | Director of International Admission

1200 Main Street Bethlehem, PA 18018-6650 | 610.861.1320